This Disappears When Logged In

My Lizard is Attacking Me

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by lizardlover56, May 31, 2013.

1. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

I just got my lizard like 2 weeks ago, and i hold it every day but when i hold it it turns flat and opens its mouth at my fingers. I panic when this happends because i dont want to get bit. :(

I also have a afro and he keeps looking at it and making stress marks so i think i should get a haircut lol but plz tell me what to do with him

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

How are you keeping it? Can you give a run down of your enclosure setup?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you need to stop force handling the animal immediately, it must have sufficient time to fully acclimate to the enclosure, you are causing much stress (it sees you as a predator just now).

4. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Well i have his water bowel and veggie bowel on the cool side and the tank is 30 or 20 gallons and then i have his rock/house thing on the basking side. i dont have a branch for him yet but im working on it

Well people are telling me to handle him while he is still young so he can get used to me.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Only when he/she is properly settled down, that hasn`t happened yet or the lizard wouldn`t be acting so defensively towards you (patience is they key to success)! ;)

6. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

And also is it normal for him to open his mouth randomly when its like really hot?

So when do i know when hes comfortable to his tank?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes that`s normal but please give us the ambient (air) temp in the coolest parts and the surface temp at the basking site and what type of thermometer you use to measure them.
    I need to log out but I`m sure other members will respond, I`ll be back on tomorrow your time (Saturday).

8. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Well the Temp in the cool side is 80 f and the hot side is 100 atm the humidity is in the middle and i have a duel thermometer

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Is your thermometer a round dial with a needle that points to the temp? if you do then you don't know the temps. The dials are poorly made and are often wrong. Walmart sells digital ones in the thermostat isle that way you will know your temps and can adjust from there. As for the aggression thing he needs to settle in and get use to you. He's a baby and in the wild everything that could would eat him. once his temps are good and he adjusts he should settle down.

10. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

So should i keep handling him, and he seems to be hungry a lot and i feed him at least 3 times a day and he still it at the glass like he wants more with his mouth open.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are not listening! You need to put the lizard in its enclosure and leave it alone for a week other than feeding and cage cleaning.
    How would you feel if this big giant THING jerked you out of your house, tossed you into a strange place and kept chasing you around and grabbing you!
    You would NOT be very happy with it.

12. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

HI lizard, first of all the basking temp should be about 105-110 and cool side 78-82 degrees. Bearded dragons do not recognize standing water for the most part so a water dish is fairly pointless. They actually do better with less then 30% humidity. I am not entirely sure about your setup to say more then that.

Second, your little guy needs time to settle down before you try to handle him. Yes it is a good idea to handle them but they need to relax and get used to everything and everyone before they are handled. The time depends on the personality of the dragon. I had one it was nearly 2 weeks before I could touch and another one who begged to be handled 4 days after coming home.

When you DO pick them up do not come down at them. Try to come at them from the side and slide your hand under them because coming from the top they think its a bird and this WILL freak them out.

A good way to make friends with your beardie is to sit and talk to them, learn to allow them to accept your presence. Get down at tank level and look at them on their level. Talk slowly and gently. Make a point when you feed them to talk to them. Heck I don't care what you say, just use a soothing tone, don't yell or scream. Allow your hand to stay around the food dish for an extra minute so they make the connection to you + food.

And just so you know..the best most patient dragon on earth can bite. But they are more likely to bite if they sense fear or panic. Stay calm, remain confident and if you do get bit. Don't pull back or punish your dragon. They don't understand it.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the coolest ambient temps are best around 21 to 24c (72 to 75f), that way the lizard/s can cool right down which is very important for them at times.
    In parts of their natural range the humidity can be as high as 70%, yet they do not develop RI`s, who told you less than 30% is "best"? So much misinformation is circulating regarding these animals (from MANY sources, that`s not directed at you specifically).

14. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Thank you tigerivy I havent been touching him but ive been watching him through his glass and he hasnt been stressed out that much now and hes less agressive when im cleaning his tank and feeding him. also i been feeding him veggies out of my hand is that good?

And also i have a son and a daughter that cry like a lot and they like to look at him but when i tell them its time to leave they start to cry and it looks like that makes him stressed out

15. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Hun that is super that he will take food from your hand, seriously it. That is 100% awesomeness ok. Just be patient, let him get used to his enviroment and it will be ok. I promise. And lizard I have 5 kids (one of whom is autistic and NONE are quiet..my house is almost always cant hear yourself think levels), 3 dogs and 6 lizards. Let him get used to the natural noise in the house. Believe me they are adaptive and it will be ok.

16. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

We have 5 kids and my home is insanel

17. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Ok well im going to work on getting a better tempature thingy and a branch for him most likely im going to get a haircut and we will see what will happen from there thanks

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To be honest it isn't your 'fro. Its the way you were dealing with him. Reptiles don't look at us and judge the way some humans do.

But it sounds like you are finally on the right track!

19. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

No, just hang out by his tank talk to him get him use to you for at least a week. Then try food to get him to want to be in your hand. I'm having this same problem with my girl. Good luck!!!

20. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Ok i havent touched him for a week and he looked like he wanted to be picked up so i tried he then turned to the side and opend his mouth :(