This Disappears When Logged In

My ig went to the vet and i got new flooring for h

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by IGGYOWNER, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

Hey! I took my ig to the vet in edmonton today to find out what the black spots were on the side of him and they said that it was a fungal infection and gave me some antibiotic to get rid of it so he will be alright. he said it comes from either high or low humidity. he asked what type of flooring i was using and i told him. He suggested some other stuff. it is called "Forest Floor, Expandable Substrate" it is a "T-Rex" product. it helps to keep the humidity level constant is easy to use and is 100 percent organic! it is also highly absorbent and is harmless to them if ingested. and it expands 7 to 8 times its original packaged size so it doesn't take much to fill the bottom of your tank. You guys should check it out. My ig loves to dig and bury himself in it for the wetness and humidity and to hide in without having to go in his cave.you can check it out at www.t-rexproducts.com under the reptile products section and then click on T-rex Substrates. this stuff is awesome. i strongly recommend it for anyone who has a hard time with humidity or with a reptile that likes to dig and bury himself underneath stuff. can someone check it out and tell me what they think?

2. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Seems alright to me, though i dont keep iguanas, i know only what i read about them, maybe one of the other ig owners can give some more advice...

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Sorry but the best substrate for iguanas is newspaper, floor tiles etc. Anything particulate is not safe ...even if it says so. They can still ingest it and they can still get impacted. My iguanas have been on newspaper for years...no fungal infections ever.To keep humidity up, spray the cage several times a day.... I would seriously suggest NOT using that stuff....good luck with the fungal infection and glad your vet knew what to do......(for the infection anyways)

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm always worried about products that expand lke that. What if they swallow a piece and it expands in the digestive tract?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Chris there is no particulate substrate that is safe for iguanas. You are just going to have to live with a bare type of flooring. It isn't the prettiest but it is safer for your iguana.
    There are all sorts of things on the market in pet supplies that claim to be safe but really aren't. The same truth in labeling laws that are in effect for human products are not applied to pet supplies,...unfortunately.

6. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

this stuff is supposed to be safe and was recommended by an iguana vet. And as for the expanding in the digestive tract, that won't happen beccause you are supposed to let it soak for about 1 or 2 hours so that it is fully epanded and if it looks like it is still expanding you just let it soak till it stops then it stays that size even when it dries. A friend of mine use it for their lizard and nothing has happened to it yet and it loves it.

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I would advise against using it also. it is clear that you reallydo care for your iguana and if you want him to be safe and healthy you will get rid of any particulate substrates. It may not look like he's going to eat any of it, but he may lick a bit here and there and that adds up. Cocoa fiber has also been attibuted to eye infections.

8. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

my water dragons are on a similar product but ive mixed mine with peatmoss to keep humidity up and when the humidity is down the stuff looks like dust
    still unsafe but they dont eat in there

9. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

ok i won't use it for now. is shredded news paper okay to use or should i just use normal sheets?

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Normal sheets of paper or tile floor are the best. Anything else can be easily ingested by the Iggy, either intentionally or by accident. The forest litter also can harbor bacteria if not cleaned regularly.

11. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

humidity and brand names, i need.

Ok. and is there any brand name that anyone would suggest for my ig for light bulbs and all supplies for him? i have heard many different names from different people especially about substrate but it seems everyone agrees on the newspaper so i guess i will stick with that. I go to school during the day and am having a hard time keeping his humidity level at 60-70 percent all day and that is in his 5.5 gallon tank. when i am finished building the new one it will be that much harder. i was going to buy a fogger that will increase humidity do u think this is a good idea? i know he will defecate in the water and i will be changing it at least twice a day. but do u think that the fogger will help with the humidity level. i bought the substrate cause it was supposed to help keep the humidity level up and stable do u guys have anything else to suggest that will help keep the humidity up and stable? his new cage is going to be 4' by 4' by 6'. what do u suggest i use to keep the humidity level up at 60-70 percent in this huge cage.?

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is the cage going to have solid walls or mesh? This will determnine the best way to approach the humidity.
    For lighting since you are going from scratch check out the mercury vapor lights from Reptileuv.com
    They deliver the most UVB bang for your buck of anything currently available

13. Moshpitrockchick

In the larger cage you can use a large shallow water dish (I'm thinking of those sterilite containers for holding wrapping paper) with either a heat source over ot under it to speed up the evaporation process. There are also misters and drippers that you can buy but I have never used either so i'll leave that up to someone else to explain.
    I use a cool mist humidifier in the winter to keep the humidity up for my entire room.

14. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Phew! Glad that got straightened out! LOL

Perhaps you should find a new vet or point your vet to the latest research in iguana care. I'm really worried that he advised a particulate substrate for your iguana.

15. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

You mean you need to educate your vet. That never happens. LOL

16. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

When it comes to reptiles, it happens alot unfortunately....I know more than most of the vets in my area.....very sad indeed......

17. Greg2k6

Greg2k6 Elite Member

18. Moshpitrockchick

I am my own vet, i've given up on the incompetant doctors around here and I now self medicate my pets under the watchful eye of my boss who is a small animal vet. I do all of the research, present her with my findings and she gives me the green light or asks a ton of questions that I need to go back and clarify.

19. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Please don't confuse humidity with hydration.

Humidity is great, hydration is critical to good health.

Buy a good quality UVB lamp and you'll be 1/2 way to good iguana health. ;-)

20. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

well i got rid of the recommended substrate cause he liked to eat it more than his food which was not good. i told my vet this and got a new one and he gave me some meds to help my ig. he is a proffesional herp vet in town specializing in iguanas. and i have a humidity meter so i got that covered just got to keep it up. and i am upgrading to a bigger cage till i get his even bigger one ready. as for the bulbs i ordered repti-sun 5.0 bulbs. they are tube lights specially designed for rainforest reptiles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.