This Disappears When Logged In

My GTPs Enclosure

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by andcad, Feb 24, 2013.

1. andcad

andcad Member

[video=youtube;X-0QdztlQKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0QdztlQKg[/video]

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

what is ideal? I don't know any chondro keepers or breeders that keeps two of the same sex together. When any are together it's only during mating season and only for a few weeks at most. You're not allowing the animals enough space to perch or to regulate well. If one decides to take the the warm spot then the other one has to make do.... Also different level perches allow for better gradient with arboreal animals. It seems to me the mossy area would be warm since it's near the light but I see your other one on the branch directly under it. i would consider seperating them for their own good. They look young still, how long have you had them and is this a recent issue or has something changed? Not criticising you just want more info if possible. Also I can give you an awesome link for chondros if you're interested. welcome aboard by the way.

3. andcad

andcad Member

I appreciate all the info I can get. And I most certainly appreciate the welcoming attitude. Since I brought a young male home, I have to temporarily house these two together, which I'm stressing out about. Im waiting to buy the right enclosure for each. They've been together for about 3-4 weeks and about 2 weeks ago I started noticing Medusa going on the ground and mossy area. Ill probably buy a new tank this weekend. What do you think about the exo terrariums XLs?

4. riderx4life

riderx4life Well-Known Member

Those are some beautiful snakes! Have you thought about building a tank? We have an enclosure section. Plenty of amazing enclosures that users have built that may help with some ideas for building your own.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The exoterra 36x18x36 or the 24x18x24?

I think the 36in one would work.

6. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

I can't hear the audio for some reason but I'll listen from my computer tonight, Based on video only you would go with a 24x18x24 and 36" later but I will add more notice I can hear the video

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I just listened to the audio. I think (not a snake expert so this is only basic reasoning) the branch that the new one is on is the best place to bask in the entire cage. She has claimed it as her own and isn't moving so that it won't be taken from her. Then poor medusa is trying to find a better place to bask and is exploring for any options but can't find a good branch so she uses the floor instead.

8. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

andcad, Welcome to HC, I hope you find this site as helpful as I have over the past year or year and half, You will find very knowledgeable and helpful people here

Joey (and BlackJack) have helped me a ton with my Green Tree Pythons. I like your enclosure but it might need to be configured a little bit more to have a healthy GTP. The first thing IMO is to get those babies girls separated. Looks like you and I have the same aged GTP. My babies last shed was right 40" and she is a every comfortable 12x12x18. I will be moving to a 18x18x18 late spring early summer. I would encourage you to visit the link below, you might find ideas to modify your current enclosure.

Green Tree Python Enclosures - Reptile Enclosures - Reptile Forums | Herp Center

9. JoeyG

hey man, couple of things I wanted to add. The video said they were both females and your post said the new one was a male.... either way it's not good to have them together. I would also caution you against bringing a new snake right into the enclosure of one you already have. Unless you're 100% positive of the new ones background it could have something and infect your other one. I also believe your perches should be a bit higher off the bottom. Closer to the heat source and some lower and away from it to give it a choice. Having higher perches with no access from the bottom would most likely allow your snake to be safer when attacking live prey. IMO you should kill the rodent but I'm not here to preach but I'm sure you realize chondros can get expensive and so do Vet bills. Your humidity looks pretty good from the moss and having a humidifier but where are your temps? Last thing is the enclosure. Again I don't see the need for a huge enclosure. As I'm sure you've seen they're not the most active snakes and would rather just perch in one spot. A male in a 36" to me is over kill but to each his own. Small males will be fine in an 18x18x24. The female you can go bigger with but again depends on her size. Over all I like your enclosure, looks really nice. Like i said just raise your perches and please post some info on temps. I will add I like the collection you have going, seeing your emerald is almost tempting me into one :)

10. andcad

andcad Member

Wow! thanks everyone for their comments, really professional and deliberate. I do want to build a tank but I have no time or a place to do it at. Im going to look into it though...

Thalate: Your theory is really good, it makes a lot of sense to me, thanks. I know I need to improve this enclosure. Im stressing about it, this weekend I have to do something...

Pjrojo: thanks for the links I will check them out immediately!

Joey: I have two females and I have a little male, the females live together and the baby male lives by himself. Im already looking into feeding F/T. Your suggestions are valuable.

Im really unhappy about their situation and Im going to fix it. Ill post a vid probably this weekend.

11. andcad

andcad Member

Joey, where did you get your branches in your exo terra from?

12. JoeyG

From Ron at "insertswork dot com" he makes them custom to your exact size enclosures and each is different. I think it's as much art as a perch. If you need the exact link let me know

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That is a fantastic website! Thanks. I have been wondering what I was going to do once tai out grew his branches! Now I have an idea!

14. JoeyG

best of all they don't grow mold or get old. Can wash off anything and really well made, even the painting on it, he'll do leaves and everything too.