This Disappears When Logged In

My Gecko Isn't Eating

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by AmandaH, Nov 23, 2009.

1. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

Back in July my gecko (Joanna) had some foot trauma, and her appetite has never fully recovered. She used to eat 10-15 crickets every other day, and now she'll eat maybe 3 crickets every two weeks, sometimes less often. I haven't noticed too much of a change in her weight. She does seem lighter when I pick her up, but I don't know if that's just a trick of my mind because I'm worried.

I have her on reptile carpet on her warm side and bark on her cool side. She has two hides, one with moss in and around it that I keep moist (although I haven't been good about that lately). I admit I have cheap thermometers, so I don't know how accurate they are. Her cage seems to be in the mid 80s during the day, and mid to high 70s at night.

She lays on the reptile carpet a lot (over the heating pad), even during the day - which is unusual for her. I have some river rocks over her heating pad, and she likes to rest her butt on them. I don't know if that's important, but I thought it was cute :)

She hasn't shown any interest in food over the past two-three weeks, and I'm concerned. I know their metabolism slows down during the winter, but this seems a bit extreme.

Any advice?!

2. rlayna

rlayna Elite Member

Sorry to hear about your little one.

First off, a digital thermometer would be a good investment.

Second, when she had foot trouble, did she go to the vet?

You might want to try something to increase her appetite. Has she had any water? You might want to try an electrolyte solution. You can find that online. Just adjust it to her size.

Can you give us anymore information?

3. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

Yes, she went to the vet. She had shedding that had stayed on her foot too long and cut off the circulation. The vet removed the dead skin on her foot (along with some toes) and she was on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

I can't tell if she's drinking or not. Her water is in a shallow dish that she walks by often, but I've never seen her actually drink from it.

She doesn't show any interest in the crickets. It's like she doesn't even notice they're there. I've always fed her in a cardboard box (I don't want to have to fish out crickets from her aquarium). She used to seem eager to get out of her cage when it was feeding time, but now she'll try to get away from me and hide in her cave when I reach for her.

I'll try some pedialyte. I also read that baby food mixed with the calcium/vitamin supplement might help.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The fact that the lizard is staying on the heating pad would suggest that perhaps your temps are off. If its too cool they can't digest their food properly and will not eat well.
    That is one of the most important factors in reptile health and behavior. You really HAVE to know what the temperatures are. Get you a good digital with the remote probe. That way you can move the probe around and check different areas.

5. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

Ok, I'll get a better thermometer tonight.