This Disappears When Logged In

My Gecko Is Fat And I Dont Know Why?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by mega0802, Jun 13, 2018.

1. mega0802

mega0802 New Member

Hi. My gecko got fat. I feed it two or three times a week with crickets which I dust with Ca or vitamins. The supplement is ecoearth but it has plenty of hides and places to escape from the earth. It poops normally and is active during the night. Last two weeks it's been digging a lot, and when I say 'a lot' I mean it. So I thought maybe it is carrying eggs? But it won't let me take a look. Its belly is round and soft. (In case you're wondering why am I saying ''IT'' for my gecko; I thought it was a male but now I'm not so sure so I just go with it. ) So now I'm wondering, did I do something wrong while feeding It or is it actually carrying eggs? And how do I know if it, in fact, is carrying eggs?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, if it does have eggs, you can usually see them through the belly. But you'll have to pick it up and turn it over to find out. Just be gentle and it shouldn't be too bad for the lizard. Or if you have a clear container you can put it in there and look up through the bottom.

3. mega0802

mega0802 New Member

So I checked and what I saw wasn't that clear (??). There are two white spots on its lower parts of the body and a blue line in the middle which I think are its organs? I read that when geckos are carrying eggs they aren't very active and don't eat much, mine does all the opposite. And that's why I'm not sure about it carrying eggs or just being fat.

4. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

could you post a few pics including one of his/her vent? It is healthy for a leo to have a plump tail, and they can vary a bit in size as well as build. It is possible that he/she is just a larger/heavier than average gecko. It's pretty easy to sex leopard geckos compared to other reptiles so you can probably verify gender yourself. Below is an image with comparison of female on left, male on right.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/96344.jpg

malevfemale_leo.jpg

5. mega0802

mega0802 New Member

Attached Files:

6. mega0802

mega0802 New Member

There i posted some pictures for you to check out! I think it's a she!

7. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I agree, that looks like a girl, and she may have eggs. If she is digging she may be trying to lay or trying to find a suitable spot to lay. If she's been digging for more than a week, it might be worth a vet visit to see if she is egg bound, or if there might be some other cause for the big belly and digging.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I'll agree on female, as for her build she just looks healthy to me, not really any fatter then one or two of mine. A small plastic tub with some nice deep (at least a couple of inches) substrate, fairly moist, and with a hole cut into the lid for access, might be in order. She may just be looking for a suitable spot to lay. You can also try shining a bright light (think LED flashlight) into her side to try and get a better look at whether she has eggs or not, similar to candeling an egg to check if it's fertile.

Atroxus likes this.