This Disappears When Logged In

My gecko has mouth rot :(

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by -Palau_, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Palau_

-Palau_ New Member

My aft has moth rot I think :(. What would be good to treat him with?
    I bought the gecko from an international reptile show. He is wild caught and was in a container with a bunch of other wild fat tails. Some of them had deflated tails and old scars, poor geckos. Also what medicine would be good to use to treat internal parasites, as a precaution?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your gecko needs to see a good reptile vet. To properly treat for parasites you first have to establish that they are there and what type they are. Improperly treating the animal can be as bad as not treating at all.
    Mouthrot is often a secondary symptom of another problem. If you simply treat the mouthrot and the gecko's health is not restored the mouthrot will likely return.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

the vet will give you the meds needed..my water dragons had mouthrot...it was bad...best of luck!!:)

4. -Palau_

-Palau_ New Member

Yeah, i'll probably have to do that , but why does the mouth get infected if there is problem in some other part of the body? Aleast the gecko is not really skinny and starved though so maybe when it gets treated it will have a chance. I've been giving it T-Rex Hydro-Life to help give it some energy.

5. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

Vet is the best thing for mouth rot. He will give you the meds needed to treat it. Iggy had mouth rot about 3 years ago and if you have never tired to put meds into a full grown male iguana well you sure are missing out! LMAO not a fun thing to do.

took 2 of us to do it. Jon had to hold him wraped in a towel and I had to pull down on the dewlap to make him open his mouth and then try to get the meds in the right place.

and then We had to get him to take antibiotics also by mouth in pill form! OMG! It was a night mare. We had to hide the pill inside a piece of wheat bread to make sure he took the meds. Worked every time!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If something else is dragging down the animal's immune system this makes it easier for other illnesses to get a foothold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.