This Disappears When Logged In

My first hot (sort of)

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by furryscaly, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

This is Ivy, my new asian vine snake (Ahaetulla prasina). Vine snakes are rear-fanged. If I'm allergic or just particularily sensitive to her venom, she'd probably kill me. If not, then it would most likely swell up, burn, and blister. I'm not new to dangerous herps though, and compared to elapids and vipers, she's not that dangerous. I've got far deadlier herps anyway (like my rough-skinned newt).

Vine snakes are pencil-thin, have horizontal pupils, and can get about 6 feet long as adults. The horizontal pupils give them excellent binocuar vision, which they use to hunt lizards, their main food source. They're one of the very few species that hunt by site, not by scent. One of my favorite species, I couldn't pass up the opportunity, and especially since I got a discount! She eats anoles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last thing an anole sees
    [​IMG]
    Ivy food
    [​IMG]

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

The second half...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ivy's cage
    [​IMG]
    Ivy's cagemates, Thing 1 and Thing 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

Beautiful snake and stick bug thingy! Whered you get them and where do you get their anoles?

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I got Ivy at a local reptile store in the area. I know the guy pretty well, and he's pretty good with his reptiles. He gave me a $20 discount on her, and sold me 3 anoles at $3 a piece. She only eats every 2 weeks or so.

5. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

Pretty cool... Can you send me some feeding pics?:) I say send because some people may be sensitive to the whole feeding lizards to snakes thing.:p

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Actually, she's eating as I type this. When she's finished I'll post all the pics. I don't think anyone will mind. Vine snakes gotta eat too, and they eat lizards. I hope to someday train her to accept mice like I did my garter snakes, mostly just because of the price difference, even if I get the anoles cheap, I breed my own mice. For now anoles will do though.

7. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Beautiful snake Matt, you got me wanting one now!! Her pupils are amazing! What's she like to handle? LOL and why has she got bug friends?? :D Thanks for the feeding pics too, very interesting.

8. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Beautiful snake Matt, and very interesting, but dont think I can watch chapter 2 lol, death of the anole, I watched a program last night called "last of the dragons" I got so excited thinking it was going to be about beardeds and water dragons, it was mostly bigger herps like crocks, Igs, monitors comodo dragons and other lizards, and a lot of snakes, it kept showing other lizards and snakes eating others I was like Awwwww, Awwww, Awww, all through the programe lol, but it was still interesting.. i even recorded it :D your snake is a beauty and like you say it has to eat, hope you manage to convert it, the stick things are awesome love them :D

9. venus

venus Founding Member

OMG, she is awesome. I love her eyes, please post more pics asap....

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Very beautiful, unusual-looking animal! I love the horizontal pupils!
    Yes, more pics, please!

11. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Aww

Thats one beautiful snake! she is so lovely, great stick bugs too! :D

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

MORE PICS :eek: lol, and I thought it might have been too many :rolleyes: I did bring her with to a high school yesterday. I was there all day talking about herps, and some of my other pets. lol, probably talked to a couple hundred people! She was very calm, I left her in a fake tree for much of it, so she didn't seem to mind.

I brought her, my basilisk, Acanthosaura, red-bellied turtle, RES, tiger and spotted sallies, rough-skinned, warty, and JFB newts, green toad, WTF, cuban treefrog, tiger-legged monkey frog, stick insects, 2 rats, a feeder mouse (which I used), rose-haired T, and my pheasant on his leash.

I did some biology classes, AP biology, anatomy, and a bunch of other classes came and sat in, including the bio-chemistry classes. I gave facts about the individual animals and their species, did some anatomy, and educated them about pet stores. Then there were some they could hold, and questions.

13. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i love that snake's eyes. so neat. :)

14. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

What a beautiful and interesting snake!I love green snakes!

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, me too. That's one of the reasons vines are in my top 10 list. I just have a thing for green snakes I guess. Smooth greensnakes and boomslangs are in there too.

16. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very cool Matt,,,great pics. Those eyes are quite captivating....

17. Prttyhtmchn

Prttyhtmchn New Member

I'm jealous. :p I've been looking for one of those for a long time, but can't find anybody who has them. I'm also worried about it being sick since they're almost always wild caught. Oh well... I just need to keep looking. She's gorgeous, though. I'm just curious... about how much did she run you? If you'd rather not say, that's fine. I'd just like to know around how much to bring to the next big show. Anyway, great looking snake... good luck w/ her. :)

18. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

She was priced at $60, but I got her for $40. I should ask if she's WC or not. Since most of mine are, it never crossed my mind. She's got a great appetite though.

19. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

She's beautiful! At first I thought her pupils were like my Children's Python's, but when I went to look at Ky-Lin, I could see that they're different. I love that shape!

Why does your snake live with stick bugs? Will she want to eat them?

20. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

Wow, Matt!! That's a great snake!! Very pretty! About how long is she?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.