This Disappears When Logged In

My First Baby Bearded Dragon-Angel or Marley:)

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Runningmom, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I am so excited. I got her yesterday! She is about 7 weeks old. I put her in my enclosure and right now she just likes the bowl. It has a built in hole for the bowl so I put some driftwood there so she can climb out. I think I might have to make a climbing structure for basking out of PVC. Or make another type of basking rock wall or something. My enclosure is about 3-4 feet tall so I need to raise basking area. The length is 69 inches. What is that- about 5.5 ft?

I am leaving her alone for the most part. She opened her mouth at me when I was going to try to pick her up to move her to warm side. She's hanging in the cool side so it worried me a bit. I have to feed her today. I didn't want to stress her so I let her be since she opened her mouth lol. Maybe I shouldn't. But since she is getting used to it I figured little to no handling the first few days. But I am worried about her not being in the light.

Going to the store and getting salad stuff. I thought I had escarole but it was yucky looking. So I'm getting crickets to start with. And trying to talk myself into Dubia. And I forgot to buy a digital thermometer and I know that is extremely important.

Any ideas on PVC configuration? Lol I have rope to wrap it. I wrapped the thing that is in the tank and got 200 or 300 ft of rope and ended up being about 15-25 short lol. image.jpg image.jpg

2. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

image.jpg
    I moved her out of her bowl and encouraged her to go to the other side. She is still not really under the light but at least she is exploring a little bit.

3. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

youre 100% right about not handling her so she can calm down. Great job!! Its so very hard!! lol If shes on the cool side and youre conserned its really important that you get the digital probe and make sure its not too hot on the other side. When mine did that I simply changed the lighting lay out to the other side and waited. get the basking area up for her asap and make sure the temps are correct. The proper heat is needed for their bodies to function correctly. Same goes for the UVB. read the instructions on recommended distances. Once you've got all the tweaking down it will be a lot easier! They are such delightful little critters!! Its impossible NOT to love them!

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Omg I know!!! I have waited about 8-10 years to get one. I was afraid to lol. But I got a turtle two summers ago I think and she is still alive. :) they need the basking area too. So except for water and a few other things they are almost the same. Haha just kidding!!! Red eared sliders are so different. But they are not as hard to have as I thought.

Yes I will get the temps and lights just right today. I was thinking I would take her outside but of course it is overcast. :(
    I ended up getting the Arcadia lights for UVB. And on sale! Thanks to Tiger Ivy helping me find the right lights! :)
    It's hard not to touch! I moved her by tipping her out of the bowl lol. Then I did touch her tail to get her to walk around. She sat for awhile and then later I came back and she moved up to the log. She's been there ever since. If she likes it there that is fine. And I was able to move it so the light could get to her some.

She seems curious. And it is very hard not to love them. I have had her not even 12 hours yet and I am smitten! Bearded dragons are so neat. I can't wait til I can hold her.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s best not to handle at all for the first few years (sorry to disappoint) but it`s well worth the wait, and your love will just grow and grow (as will your patience)..... ;)
    It`s a nice sized enclosure, can you show some photos of the whole thing? Thanks!

6. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

First few years???
    Yes. I can post some pics. It's really big. And it's in the dining room :) image.jpg

image.jpg

It's hard to tell how big it is. But it used to house an Iguana. The person I bought it from made it for an Ig. It's probably on the small side inside for an iguana but I think it's about perfect for the bearded dragon.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I do believe that Stefan is just yanking your chain!

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos. it`s a very nice looking tank, almost a piece of furniture.
    I`m not sure about those climbing objects, I would personally use some stout, firmly fixed branches which the dragon can get a decent grip on.
    What type of heat bulbs are you using?
    P.S. O.k, it`s best to wait a few DAYS before handling..... ;)

9. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I figured a few days:). At most I thought it was a typo for a few years lol
    You kidder Stefan! Funny guy.

The UVB is Arcadia- I have to see what kind. But Tiger ivy gave me the link so I'm sure it's the proper lighting;)
    And the others are regular bulbs for heat. I want to find small flood
    Lights because the type of lamp fixture is kind of flat so it fits inside the thing. I will show a picture of that too. The guy who built it thought of everything.

10. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

image.jpg image.jpg

The top opens up- it's on hinges. And there are three holes with screen on it but it is nicely done. He had to screw the screen top in underneath so his iguana couldn't get up there and burn herself. So the plastic stuff is what I have the lights set on. One isn't on because it has a short cord. I don't have it plugged in yet. I can actually feel the heat when I walk up to the enclosure!

Yeah. I thought it was a nice enclosure! Bought it on Craigslist. And I put it in the dining room because I thought- doesn't everyone need a huge reptile enclosure in their dining room? It's in front of the house which gets some sun in there. And it's the first thing people will see when they walk in. Lol. And it's also a little quieter. Not much but the kids aren't always in there. They do go in but they don't play in it too much. So it's a good spot. That and I didn't think I could convince my husband to move his big tv out of the main living area so I could put my dragon there instead. :)

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Having trouble getting her to eat. I'm about to get a cricket with tweezers and see if she will eat. This is almost 4 days without touching food. At some point she has to eat. She licks the escarole but won't eat.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, when you say they`re "regular" heat bulbs, what type are they exactly, and have you managed to get the surface and ambient temps set up?
    4 days without eating is nothing to worry about, just keep leaving the food and don`t stay too close waiting for the lizard to eat it (or maybe you don`t)?

13. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

No I went away and left her. Though I check periodically. She's just basking. Ok. I won't worry. They are just so little- it's nervewracking.

The bulbs are incandescent bulbs I found a reptile heat light (infrared) that I accidentally bought awhile back. So I decided to try it. I need to find a small flood light because the fixture is flatter than normal fixtures because it has to fit inside the spot for the lights- which is separate from the reptile. It is a white grate made of plastic. Not sure what it is but it could melt if the flood was touching it.

I am having trouble getting the heat up. The temp is 96 now which is up from the 85. I know that's way too low. 95-96 is better than 85- but no where near where it should be. The heat lamp thing seems to help- I have three lights in there plus the Arcadia light for UVB. Arcadia 15 w desert 10%+ lamp.
    So I am frustrated because I keep messing with the lights and I still can't get to 105 let alone 110-115.
    I have to check what my cool side is- I haven't because I forgot.

14. Just

Just Elite Member

How do you keep tue crickets from getting out between the sliding glass doors, im brainstorming some ideas for a 60x24x24 tank and I want slightly ding glass but cant figue out how to prevent crickets from escaping between the glass doors.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Incandescent bulbs are practically useless for creating a basking surface simply because the heat`s directed all around rather than downwards. I suggest a couple of low wattage halogens (flood, not spot) @ between 40 to 60w, you can either raise/lower the basking site or fit a dimmer switch `til you get the desired surface temp (I know you can`t move the bulbs up or down). Are you saying the basking surface temp is 95f, or the ambient (air)?

16. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Murrindindi, In my 40g im able to achieve a basking of 105 with a 75 watt incandescent bulb at about 9 inches from surface.. Maybe our bulbs are different here. When I use a basking spot light at same watts though its a lot more focused and hotter. I haven't tried a halogen but I suspect that would be overkill for my tank.

17. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

That is on the basking spot. I know it needs to be higher. The cool side is 78-79. Air. Is that too low?

Ok. I will get the floods. I have to buy the reptile ones or see if they make small flood lights because the lamps are smaller than normal ones. I should have bought some at the store yesterday but being in a super hurry and totally distracted I forgot.

I haven't had any escape yet. But I just gave her a couple so far. One is in the food bowl because it is small and can't get out. I noticed one of its legs is partially missing. One got out and it is running around in there but I can't find it. The other may have been eaten. Not sure. Maybe the crickets have not figured out how to get it yet. I might have to figure out a way to keep them from coming out- like putting a thin foam thing there so it is easily taken out and put back.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You just ask for (outdoor preferably) halogen flood bulbs, they aren`t reptile specific and are quite cheap. I`m not sure if Walmart sell them, hopefully someone else will comment on where to buy.
    If the surface temp is too low it may explain the dragon`s reluctance to feed (apart from the stress of not yet being fully acclimated).

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s not impossible to achieve a basking spot with household incandescent bulbs, but they tend to dry out the air to a greater extent (obviously this species may not require relatively high humidity, but for others that do), and they don`t last nearly as long as the halogens (up to 3,000 hours), which in my opinion makes the incandescents far less efficient as "basking bulbs".
    I`m not sure why you think a halogen would be "overkill"?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  20. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

I use a ceramic heater with my basking bulbs to get the heat up. They don't have any light that comes out but I can keep it on all day and all night If I need too. The most it has gone up too is at 110. plus its on a dimmer so I can lower it in the day or raise it during the night for my Chinese water dragon. Just a thought :)