This Disappears When Logged In

My Female Iggy Have Never Eaten By Herself Since Last Year

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by plumpy, Oct 4, 2015.

1. plumpy

plumpy Member

Hi I'm ej from South Korea.
    I'm very glad to know this gorgerous forum
    before I start this, please understand my awful english writing.
    Cuz I'm not good at english so I'd like to excuse for this..
    I have one female iggy named plumpy. she's 2years old girl.
    she had eaten anything three times a day any food before she was first gravid
    but during her gravid, she wouln't eat anything by herself so I had to feed her forcebly...
    I found her gravid starting last october
    luckily she only wanted to eat repcal iguana food by herself during her gravidness but only small quantity once a day..
    As Time went on.. and a few month ago I found she was absorbing her eggs when i saw her doctor to check she's fine.
    But I couldn't feel a real sense of relief because she is not gravid for now, but she doesn't want to eat her foods and her belly still looks so pumped.
    Doctor said to me "her health is fine now"
    but I'm still worried about her health
    she hasn't eaten her foods by herself for about 1years and I have fed her forcibly for about 1years too..
    i'm most worried that her second period of gravidness is coming back. (sept~oct)..
    Is this normal for iguanas not to eat foods by themselves while female iguanas are absorbing their eggs?
    and should i have to keep feeding her forcebly
    ? (also she really wants to eat meats,eggs or bread for human even though she's not interested into any vegetables and fruits )
    and I don't know what to do If she will be gravid while she's now absorbing her eggs..
    please, help me. there is no place in South Korea I should ask for helps for my iggy plumpy
    this is my iguana's instagram page:the plumpy @the_plumpy Instagram profile - Pikore

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That iguana is quite overweight! Stop force feeding her! And are you saying you are feeding meat eggs and bread?
    How did the Dr determine that she was absorbing the eggs?

3. plumpy

plumpy Member

Dr also said to me she's kinda fat.
    I feed her meat or bread when she really wants to eat ( she has never been interested in vegetables and fruits since Last year her body developed the eggs.
    I tried not to force feed her for about 2days but she never ate at all even though she was no more developing her eggs but abosorbing her eggs..
    I'm really worried about her when she doesn't eat anything so I force feed her.

4. plumpy

plumpy Member

Dr said she's abosorbing her eggs when I vistied him to check if my iggy was still gravid or not. It was 2months ago.. and it was last november that Doctor 'said she's gravid'

5. Merlin

But what method did he use to determine this?
    With the amount of fat she has in the tail she can go weeks without feeding. Just make sure she has water. In fact when they are carrying eggs they generally stop eating for a couple of weeks prior to laying. And you are not doing the ig any favor by giving meat. Iguanas are strict vegetarians and their bodies are not designed to digest meat. It will destroy their kidneys and livers and cause early death. Back in the 1970's we were instructed to feed them insects, mice, dog food, etc, based on a mistake in a field researcher's notes. We could not understand why an animal that lived for decades in the wild would only live 4-5 years in captivity. The diet we were using was killing them!
    Remove everything except greens and veggies from the diet and stop force feeding. It may take days or weeks but the iguana will go back to eating what she needs to.
    They can be quite stubborn but you have to be more so.

TamJam likes this.
  6. plumpy

plumpy Member

she's got x-ray and X-ray showing she's abosrbing her eggs.. :(
    what should I do if breeding season is comming even though she's still absorbing her eggs.. I'm very sure she's in breeding season for now..
    Even vets in Korea also don't know why she doesn't want eat anymore even tho they said she's healthy.
    Please help me There's no place in KR I can ask for helps for my iggy..

7. Merlin

Cool. An Xray was what was needed. Just making sure.
    They do not always produce eggs. Some years it just doesn't happen. My 20 year old female would lay one year and then might skip a year or two.
    And I highly doubt that there would be eggs produced while the others were being absorbed.
    But in this case I would suspect that the failure to eat is due to the forcefeeding and the fact that foods being offered are inappropriate. This could also account for the weight issue. I would occasionally give my girl wet wheat bread as a treat and I noticed that the next day she wasn't very hungry. As I stated....stop force feeding and give the correct foods and the ig should go back to feeding herself. A healthy iguana will not allow themselves to starve to death.

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

You need to follow the proper iguana diet very closely and see what she should be eating. No animal proteins should be given. See that she has the correct UV light and the correct temperatures and humidity levels in her enclosure. You need to allow her to eat on her own. If she is kept like this much longer she will not survive. Everything Merlin said should be followed. Then maybe she will have a chance to survive and grow normally.

9. plumpy

plumpy Member

Thanks guys.. I haven't force fed to her for a week so she can eat vegies by herself but she's never tried by herself. I bought nutribac probiotics yesterday. Do you think it gonna be helpful to my iggy?

10. Merlin

Sometimes you just have to be more stubborn than they are. And the probiotics are fine to use.

11. plumpy

plumpy Member

Always I thank you for your kind and quick replies! When I have some questions Could I ask you something else for my iggy If you don't mind? I hope our igs are happy and healthy forever with us

12. Merlin

Questions are one of the reasons we have this site. I will be glad to answer anything I can.

13. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Of course we are here to help! We have a lot of experience.

Absolutely no more meat or animal protein. Please see the correct green iguana diet and stick to it. Do not force feed her. Especially good for them are mustard greens and collard greens, and squash (pumpkin) all served gratered and raw. Okra, watercress, sweet peppers, green beans, mango, banana, and many other good foods are on the iguana diet sheets. Make sure to mix in at least three different veggies and one fruit with each meal and feed in the mornings. A sprinkle of spring water on top of the food will be good and keep her hydrated.

Keep trying like this and change your mindset about giving her food by force and giving her the wrong food.

Keep us informed!

14. plumpy

plumpy Member

Im sorry guys for asking this again!(I'm working now so I have to write this quickly before my boss coming) I've got this stuff (Jump-Start Caloric Supplement Appetite Stimulant Reptile Turtle 4.25oz Zilla) today so I gonna feed this my iggy to gain my igu's appetite after work time. Is this stuff appropriate for iguana?

15. Merlin

You can try but I really think that you would be better off just leaving the ig to get hungry for a few days.

TamJam likes this.
  16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photographs on here of the Iguana`s enclosure and give details of the temperature (air and basking surface) and the humidity range and what type of hygrometer you use to measure them (analogue or digital)? Thanks!

TamJam likes this.
  17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I really hope you do not give the iguana anything or any other kind of "stuff". Just give the correct iguana diet!

18. Eagle

Eagle Member

Plumpy, I really wish you had mentioned meat and bread before. Both things throw their metabolism WAY out of balance. Bread is OK on occasion, but that needs to be supplemented by LOTS of water. When did you start her on these habits? An iguana is not much unlike a little kid...start them on bad habits, its hard to break them of it. Your iguana's appetite isn't the problem...but the food she is being fed IS very much the problem. Look...sometimes I have to leave my igs for a few days, and they have to rely on a backup. I'm gonna be the "evil" guy who says I rarely take trips long enough to where I have to leave them with dry cat food and water. But, I do every once in a while...and yes...its hard to get them off it when you get back...even if its only a few days. But...offer NOTHING but veggies and fruits...they WILL get back to their usual routine. I have a nearly 16 year old female iggy who has been paraplegic due to a spinal injury for the last 8 years. I also have a nearly 25 year old male iguana, who I have raised since he was weeks out of the shell. Both of them have had to deal with life's realities...and my boy is OLD by iguana standards. Meat won't kill them...but you CAN get them back to their proper diet. One of the best things about iguanas is their intelligence. They're not dumb enough to consciously starve themselves. ;)

19. Merlin

Actually it will. Their organs are not designed to digest animal protein. Feeding an iguana meat will shave years off of their lives.

TamJam likes this.
  20. Eagle

Eagle Member

And...if we take the comment in the context of the entire post it came in? Sorry...just trying to avoid panic and get the iguana owner in another country to understand that things need to change in his iguana's diet, but he hasn't necessarily doomed his iguana to death. She can still live a long, happy, healthy life with a tweak to the diet, and an understanding that an iguana LOVES junk food, but WILL go back to a healthy diet when they're hungry enough.