This Disappears When Logged In

My Fat Tail Isn't Eating or Pooing Help Please

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Dazm, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi everyone my fat tail hasn't eaten or had a poo for a week and a half he seemed bunged up so I gave him some liquid paraffin to try and clear his belly and he did have a poo but it seems like he's been eating his bedding moss as the day after his belly felt full again but all his food was still there so I gave him a bit more paraffin and he was trying to have a poo but only a little bit of watery stuff came out and some bedding was sticking out so I tryed to pull it out and some came out but then snapped,I've gave her some baby food to keep her going with a syringe.
    Any clue what I can do??

Ps his tail is very little from what it was to weeks ago.
    Thanks

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

My recommendation is that you take your little one to the vet.

Do you have pictures of your little one and her enclosure?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Why are you feeding him paraffin?
    Thats basically candle wax!

4. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi I'm going to try and get a vet appointment tomorrow if I can and yeah I'll try and put Fone pics on not sure how as I'm useing a iPhone
    Thanks

When one of my other lizards had a blockage the reptile vet gave me the liquid paraffin to clear her belly and it worked.

5. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

gecky

Attached Files:

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Did you try a warm soak?
    Also, is there any way your gecko could be gravid?
    I would replace the moss with paper towel for the moist hide, this will lessen the risk for impaction.
    If there is an impaction a vet trip may be best.

7. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi yeah I've gave him a couple of warm baths but that didint help that was the 1st thing I did as that's what my beardie likes,
    What's gravid sorry not sure?
    And I've taking the moss out for now but that's what I was thinking about useing insted
    I'm hopeing the vets will have a spaces tomorrow morning fingers crossed
    Thanks

8. mld

Sorry, Gravid means pregnant!
    Does he drink water at all, dehydration can also cause impactions.

9. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Are rite lol no he's not, and I'm not sure about the drinking I never really see any of my lizards drinking much and with him mainly been out n about in his viv at night I don't see. His water is changed every day and is some times lower but I couldint say if that's the heat or him drinking
    Thanks

10. mld

I would give him a couple of soaks a day and while he is soaking drip some water on his nose and see if he will take some water that way.

11. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi I've had him to the vets today and they said he feels like he is impacted but just said to continue what im doing and soak him twice a day with reptiboost and give him 1ml of the liquid paraffin a day and they gave me some food to feed him with a syringe insted of the baby food and if he's no better by Tuesday to take him brace for X-rays....
    So hopefully he'll clear it soon.

12. mld

Its very hard to read your post, it's one big run on sentence, please use punctuation!

Quick question, is liquid paraffin mineral oil??

13. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

14. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi I had him to the vets and was told he does seem to be bunged up but I was told to just continue doing what I am, give him a couple of soaks a day in reptiboost and 1ml of liquid paraffin a day and they gave me a tin of food to
    Use insted of the baby food so hopefully he'll clear it soon or back to the vets on Tuesday for X-ray...

15. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Sorry that has posted again,
    I'm not sure it's just what the vet gave me,
    And thanks I hope he recovers soon aswell