This Disappears When Logged In

My Fat Tail Geckos Tail Has Came Off

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Dazm, Jan 10, 2011.

1. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Thanks for posting pictures. Poor little gecko! :(

Does she show interest in the live crickets at all? The reason that I ask is because I notice that if I take out the stuff in Puzzle's cage, he doesn't have to look for the crickets when they hide, and it resulted in him eating pretty much everything I put in for him every time. Otherwise, he would catch the ones that came out in the open, but the rest would hide and he is so lazy he would just lose interest and go to bed. LOL

The other thing that could be affecting her is the temperatures in the cage. Last you posted, the tank was at 75. If that is the warm end, that's too cold, and geckos go into what is called brumation when it is cold and they don't eat. So you need to make sure the warm end is up in the 88-92 range. I keep Puzzle's warm end at 90 and his cool end at 75-80.

Another thing you can keep in mind is that Fat-tails eat their shed. I don't know if leopard geckos do this or not. But African Fat-tails will shed frequently and eat the skin they shed (it contains a lot of nutrients, so it's like a whole meal, esp when they are adults). On weeks that Puzzle sheds, he will not eat. That may not be what is going on with your girl, but it's good information to have.

It's been about 2 weeks since she dropped her tail, so she has had time to destress and there is no reason she should be refusing food. Have you tried the waxworms? I can post a picture of my cage setup if that helps you. Let me know. Good luck!

2. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi ive tryed with waxworms every day,she did shed the other day aswell.
    That would to good if u can post some pictures Giv me something to go off. How long do you take everything out of his viv for to get him to eat and what do you use as a substraight?
    Thanks

3. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Here is his tank:
    [​IMG]

You can see his tail in the coconut..haha he loves that thing. It should be noted here that although I am using the dial hygrometer, they are not recommended. I only feel comfortable using it because I have had his cage for so long that I know his cycle and temps are spot-on...I took his digital hygrometer to use with my new corn snake's cage.

The substrate is repti-carpet, or it's called Eco-Earth, I get it at PetSmart but virtually any pet store pretty much has it.

I feed him once a week - (again, some people feed more often than this, but I have found that he will eat 15 crickets a week and he is happy with that. It saves me having to keep them.) During feeding time, I take all his stuff out so it is just him and the crickets (I leave the repti-carpet in there). I coat the crickets and then dump them in there. He knows when it's time, he hears them jumping around in the tupperware I coat them in and comes out to see.

So I take everything out, and dump his crickets in...and use that time to change his moist hide, wash his water dish, and clean off anything that needs cleaning. He usually eats them all within ten minutes. Some weeks he will only eat 8-10, but this usually coincides with his sheds...they aren't as hungry the weeks they shed like I explained before. I give him a maximum of 15 minutes in the tank with the crickets, and any that he hasn't eaten I smoosh and throw away.

As you can see, I keep his cage very simple, with a few hides and a water dish. Fat tails aren't really all that active...Puzzle wanders around his cage at night sometimes, but he really spends most of his time sleeping or eating. They are a lazy species! Keeping it simple leaves less room for error, and it's easy to clean and maintain.

I hope that helps!

4. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi yeah this is a help I'm going to look for some repti carpet at the week end and I'll try taking everything out the tank aswell when trying to feed her. The viv is a bit small but I've got a new 4ft one ordered to match my beardys viv it's going to have a partition in the middle so I'll have gecky in one side then and my berber skink in the other side so I'll have more room for sorting geckys side.
    Just put her back away and her tail seems to be healing so hopefully she'll pick up and start eating soon I'll update u wen I've tryed that. :)

5. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi there I got some of the repti carpet and done everything but she's still not eating going to try not feeding her the baby food for a couple of days then try taking everything out the viv and put the crickets in again just going to keep trying :)

6. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

You may want to consider taking her to a vet. It's been a long time that she hasn't been eating...

7. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Have already going to go back again at the weekend

8. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

OK, good. Let us know what happens. Is she losing weight?

9. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi some good news today for once last night I took most of the things out the viv and just left a small exoterra hide her water bowl and her calcium powder and put 4 crickets in. Then today when I was at work got my dad to come and check on her and she had ate them all so I told him to put 4 more in and when I got home there's only 1 left so she ate 7 since last night. So hopefully she's on the up. Her tail is starting to grow back aswell, think that's going to tack a long time tho. Thanks for all your help it helped a lot
    Thanks

10. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Forgot to say she lost a small amount of weight but since she has ate she has put it back on

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great news, keep up all the good work!

12. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

YAY!!!! :D That's awesome. So happy to help!

Also, if you dust the crickets with the right supplements, you don't need the calcium dish in there. I've never had one for Puzzle.

13. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Very good to hear that she is eating again and starting to put the wieght back on....thanks for giving us the update:)

14. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi all thanks

Hi puzzlebean I do dust them I always hav with all my lizards but the vet said to put a bottle top with some in aswell and she has had a few licks of it, I use reptiluxe calci-pure (insect dusting powder & pure calcium supplement) that's what it's got on the label. Seems to do the job :)
    There's a couple of crickets that she hasn't ate yet so I'm going to take them out soon...

15. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Yeah the vet's advice is better than mine. haha! You should post update pics if you have a chance!

16. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

hiya sorry for taking a while just been busy, she has ate 5 more crickets in the last couple of days all so shed and ate that :)
    heres some updated pics.
    just been reading your post puzzlebean i didint no they could eat pinkys must have been quite a small one?

Attached Files:

17. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

She seems to be healing up! That's awesome that she is shedding/eating. That's a really good sign!

I recently discovered that AFTs can eat pinkies, but you don't want to spoil them. I give Puzzle one every month or so, as a special treat. He has only had one so far, and yes it was a little one. A baby pinkie that I got at PetSmart. He loved it!

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

An occasional SMALL pinkie is fine once in a while. You don't want to do it to often though as they are too high in fat content for an insectivore.

19. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I think they have too much calcium to be a staple, too. Once a month is ok as far as I have researched. He was just so happpyyyyyy

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The calcium is not the problem. Its the fat content. Fed too often that puts quite a strain on the liver and kidneys.
    A high fat diet is not any more healthy for them than it is for us.