This Disappears When Logged In

My Fat Tail Geckos Tail Has Came Off

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Dazm, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi not sure what I can do to help gecky she got a fright a couple of hours ago and her tail has came off I've calmed her down and she's back in her viv I've put paper towel down so no sand gets on her she has stopes bleeding and it didn't bleed much. I'm worried as that's where they store every thing I didn't want to put live food in incase they bite her I've read to feed her fatty foods so put some cheese in for now. What can I do and will she be ok?
    Has this happened to yours?
    Rang local vet but she does not no about these lizards
    Pls help if u can.
    This will not let me post my email on here so I'll try and work out how to get your replys
    Thankyou
    Darren

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Im pretty sure its normal for fat tails to drop them as a distraction to preditors. Put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and moniter for infection, neosporin is a triple antibiotic ointment fyi. Just make sure it has no pain relief medication added, can be detromental. If you house him on sand thats a big no no. Impaction risks are very high with sand, and if its calci sand, you have to worry about hypercalcemia, which can kill your lizard. There is a article on sand impaction on this site. Give it a read.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And by "fatty", they are talking fatty insects such as wax worms!
    NOT CHEESE!

4. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi bucher thanks for getting back to me I've tryed everywhere to get some neosporin but no where can get it in for a few days and it has to be on perscripshon but I went to the best reptile place I no and they sold me some vetadine to clean where her tail was so it does not get infected she hasn't ate yet but didint eat very often before this happened. I got some wax worms as soon as the place opened but so far she hasn't had any but I'll keep trying. Just hav to keep my fingers crossed she's ok. She's acting quite normal. Thanks

5. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

And merlin there's no places open at 11pm at night that sell wax worms that I no of and didn't crickets in incase they bite her so I tryed to give her what ever I could!!

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Can you describe the setup? Having the optimum setup will be the best prevention of infection. what are your temps/decor/etc...

7. Merlin

You mean betadine. And that is fine to use. Any triple antibiotic ointment would be fine to use as well. It doesn't have to be specifically Neosporin brand.
    Never heard of it being a perscription though. In the States it is sitting right out on the shelf.

But feeding "whatever you could" is a very bad approach to things. These animals are insect eaters and in no way would they ever be exposed to a dairy product!
    And the lizard is not going to starve to death overnight.

8. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi it's called vetadine on the bottle i wish I could hav getting that other stuff so easy just can't get it off the shelf in the uk,bit silly that is but just different laws I ges. I no what u mean about the food it was just a last thing to try incase she wanted to eat normally she has crickets n small locus looking at it it seems to be heeling a little bit already. I hav 4 lizards n no quite a bit from ova 5 year having them just never had anything like this happen
    Thanks

9. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Maybe vetadine is the brand name? Whats the active ingrediant?

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Any triple-antibiotic ointment will work - Most that we have here are petroleum based, and you just put the ointment on the wound. If you can't find that, maybe your local drug stores carry wound-washing saline (some here do, in small pressurized cans) that can help as well.

Betadine is a brand name for Povidone-Iodine solution (usually 10%).

Reptiles cannot digest the lactose in milk and dairy, because they are not mammals. Giving them dairy is not a good idea at all, and can be very damaging to their kidneys, liver, and other organs.

11. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi the setup well when I first got her about 2 year ago I had a heat lamp and heat mat in and she didn't eat for about 3 month in the end the vet said try taking the heat lamp out so I did and a week later she started eating so now the setup is a 45x45 exoterra viv with a heat mat on the bottom of the glass it's about 75c in the viv I've now taking the sand out and there's just paper towel down now the water dish food dish large bit of bark and her house. Thanks

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Not sure if other will agree but maybe your better off without any type of particulate substrate (the bark).

here is a blurb I found on-line, is this the stuff you got?

Medivet Vetadine 100ml : MedicAnimal.com

13. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Ok I'll hav a look as soon as I can I'm using my phone at the moment and it's not loading and the piece of bark is just one large bit. She is sleeping under it so don't no if it's a good idea to take it out as I think that's where she feels safe. I'm open to anything that may help tho. if you think it would be better I may try taking it out and seeing how she goes. Thanks

14. mld

Sorry thought you meant bark substrate! My bad!

15. Merlin

I hope you meant 75F! 75C would be HOT!
    At any rate 75 is what you should aim at for the cool end. The warm end of the tank should be 85-88

From what I can tell the "Vetadine" is just a brand name for their offering of betadine.
    Having the peice of bark in there as a hide is fine. What MLD though you were referring to is a loose bark chip stuff some people put on the bottom of the cage

16. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Just an update on my gecko she's doing ok but not eating so fed her some baby food as told by the vet. Tried all live foods but not trying anything. Hopefully she'll start eating soon

17. mld

I hope she starts eating soon!:(

18. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

Hi she's still not eating but fed her some baby food like the vet said to try she's lively and seems to be ok apart from not eating maybe a tripback to the vets soon 

19. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

It is normal for fat-tails to drop their tails if they get stressed out. It's not a pleasant experience for them by any means, but it will grow back (a bit shorter and not as pretty as before, but try not to worry too much.)

I am not sure about the ointment or whatnot, I know that you can get something, I will defer to other people as an answer to this.

Have you tried feeding her some waxworms? These are very high in fat and calorie content, and will help her regain some of the fat that she lost when she dropped her tail. It is normal for her not to want to eat right away after a traumatic event such as dropping her tail, just keep trying every day.

I would advise you to take everything out of her cage and try giving her some live crickets and/or a waxworm. You want to be careful with the waxworms, because they will get addicted to them and not take other food, and it is not healthy for them to have strictly waxworms.

Keep in mind that fat-tails are a bit more finicky than leopard geckos, and they don't generally like mealworms. Puzzle won't even touch mealworms...he's a live-cricket snob.

How are you feeding her? Can you post a picture of her setup, and maybe a picture of her after she dropped her tail?

20. Dazm

Dazm Well-Known Member

hi puzzlebean
    im tryimg to put some pictures on now not sure if its going to work or not, ive tryed all live food just doesint go for anything so only ever had crickets before this happened but she never ate them when i put them in she just ate when she fancyed, so allways had food in.
    ive been feeding her with a small serringe
    :)-) not sure how to spell that).
    she seems to be doing ok but may have to take her to the vets if she does not start eating.
    when i 1st got her she didint eat for ages so the vet gave her a vitamin and steroid shot then she started eating and was fine till now.
    in her tank is her water meal worms wax worms calcium powder her house (the green thing) and a bit of bark she plays on. the cardboard is a ramp so its easyer for her to get to the food.
    thanks
    darren n gecky

Attached Files: