This Disappears When Logged In

My Emerald Swifts

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by DwarvenChef, Mar 1, 2012.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Oh what a funny experience I just had. In my interest in keeping the food items, given to my Emerald Swifts, diversified I picked up some zoophoba or king mealworms to see if they where small enough for the elder O-Ushi. She is half again as large as Lara so I didn't think Lara would be able to handle them. Lara is much smaller in the head and I just didn't think she'd go for them...

WRONG!!!

I even had my daughters camera trained on O-Ushi to get a pic... Lara went bazerk, Diving across the 40 gal breeder tank and into O-Ushi's cave to snatch up the meal worm and chomp it up like crazy...

I was standing there with my jaw on the floor totally caught off guard for this reaction. Both girls are hearty eaters but Lara is not inclined to get in O-Ushi's way for anything, except apparently a big meal worm... And I never thought to get a pic while standing there dumb struck... I have to pic up some more as I know they will be eaten now LOL And I'll have the camera ready to get Lara in the shot cause that will be good :p

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That must have been surprising! :) I can't believe she stole that worm!

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Larainshead2.jpg

Lara is finaly sheading, she was looking so dark the past week or so. She is also starting to push O-Ushi's buttons, by hanging on one the bush over O-Ushi's cave (in the log below her).

Attached Files:

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

[video=youtube;277gqVqw2ok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=277gqVqw2ok&list=UUAZRGsUI77NFWRMVGa1 xLBA&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

LOL caught it on video this time, Lara vs a Zoophoba :p

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

She is pretty feisty with that superworm!

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'm going to see if I can get a better history of O-Ushi tomorow. I bought her as a trade in that the shop took in. I don't know how long she was own by the previous owner. She has become very attentive to food of any kind and has started getting rather large in the mid section... Not like a bloating but more a swelling... ans she had dropped her pellets normally so it's not a constapation issue. She could very well just be fattening up in prep for breeding or if she was wild caught not to long before I got her she could be gravid (unlikely from what I'm reading but not unheard of)... So now I have to cover my bases and get a moist hide set up just incase, I really don't want to loose an oportunity no matter how slight it may be :p

Now I REALLY want to find a male Emerald swift NOW!!!! :p

7. klinger

klinger Member

I am new to the site and have followed your posts for a while now. I have a breeding pair of E. Swifts in a 55g display tank. I have witnessed them breeding on several occassions as recently as yesterday. Several months ago same thing but no babies. The female had 5 babies in the pet shop where I purchased her...but none of them made it... So I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    I have noted that you are worried about them consuming enough water...In my tank I have a large bout 6x8 inch dish for water with a flat airstone in it. The stone/air tubing is hooked up to a air pump for fish. It runs about 9 hours a day bubbling away. It moves the water, raises the humidity and I have seen them drink. I also mist the sides and plants. I have had them set up like this for about a year...the shop had the female for a year and my male is a young adult based on size when I bought him last year. I use one basking UVA incadecant, and linear flourecsent 7.0 UVB/UVA strip entire length with a growlight (the fixture holds two bulbs).
    My basking runs 100, highest spot to 78 lowest. My cork slab is on a slant. I have ran an UTH but have experimented with it off and have seen no differences so i dont use it anymore. My female hides in the substrate alot but I have never seen my male burrow. He does from time to time hide under the cork basking spot. But ....we are just entering spring...of brumation of sorts? I dont know.
    What other foods have you used besides crix and supers? I have used butterworms, mealies and crix. How were you going to set up your hide?

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Nether one of my females do much of anything on the floor, short of using it as a landing pad for pouncing on bugs. So far I have been able to get Crix, Zoophoba, Dubia, some other roach, and wax worms. So far Crix are my staple as they are always available along with zoophoba. Dubia and others are more a suplement to the crix. At the moment I have a whicker rat house mostly packed with moist sphagnum moss. Several shops in my area carry tiny bugs incase I get lucky. I just came across a piece of grapevine about 3' long that has been hollowed out, I'm still trying to figure how best to use it :)

There is a connection with fatty foods and the number of posable babbies any female can produce, also a size contingent. These guys only breed once a year and are known to breed one year and produce young the next year. Insuring that the females have a large and varried diet for the full part of the active year July- Oct. Remember these guys are highland creatures and their seasons are really short.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Whoot I just got word that I male Emerald Swift has been placed on hold at my local shops supplier, I should see him in a few days :) WHOO HOOO :-"

He is a wild caught (no suprise) so I have to get that extra set up going for quarintine.

WHOO HOO :)

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Yay! Congratulations! :)

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats great news, he's going to feel like he is in heaven with those girls all to himself! ;)

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Got the quarintine tub set up and itching to get him in there for his month of ... Study?? Whatever :p but I can't sleep thinking he may show up tomorow, and work will call... Or they will not call and the shipment got delayed... Ya not sleeping tonight lol :/

13. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Really getting tired of this guy... Still no male, same ol excuses... But I fully understand them as I remember still the issues with live shipping costs and order sizes... But I want my lizards that are already payed for... ugh...

Got the light set up over the quaritine tub and letting it run so I can get temps checked. It's warming up here (outside) something fierce already so I don't want this to get to hot for a wild caught tropical lizard. I'll get pics when I ambush my daughter and get her camera off her :p

14. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Well lets see if the "It's Comming" call is worth the breath it took. I just got a call stating they had confirmation of my Male Emerald getting shipped out tomorow and will arrive Friday... Heard this last time and I hope this is not another false alarm...

Funny as this very morning I was checking out online sources for Emeralds for sale and what it would take to get one. I guess the local shops ears where ringing LOL

I would really get in trouble if I had to order one online... You can't just get one $20 lizard and get tagged with a $40 shipping fee... you need to get a few lizards to even things out... Like a 1:2 set of Pink bellies or... Ya you get the picture LOL

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any excuse in a pinch! LOL!

16. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

DSCN3233.jpg
    DSCN3234.jpg
    DSCN3237.jpg

He's HOME!!! He's still a bit jumpy as we got home and in a new quarintine tub just a few mins ago. Been a long few days for him and I'm sure he's going to be a bit off center lol.

If I can believe the distributor (FL based) they say they have had him over a month. So if he's not showing any weird signs in a month I'll intruce him to the girls :p

Attached Files:

17. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

LOL found the opening to his "cave" and has not come out, go figure :p

18. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

IMG_1520.jpg

He came out exploring while I was at work... my daughter got this shot :)

And I have not been able to find the cricket I left for him, but it may have wedged into the wood. But I can't see it there ether, hope he ate it :)

Attached Files:

19. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg

He was out today :)

Attached Files:

20. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

IMG_1522.jpg

Beware, **** is about to freeze over, these two have never been social with each other and they where like this all day...

I'm scared :p

Attached Files: