This Disappears When Logged In

My Emerald Swift Set Up

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by DwarvenChef, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

sjeffries_breaksthirds_zps987faba9.jpg

The above tank is a 40 breeder with screen top. On top of the screen is a sheet of plastic shelf liner to hold back some humidity. Holes have been cut to allow the UVB (5.0) coil light and incandescent (40w) heat light to shine down.

The Build...
    On the very bottom outside is a small sized under tank heater (more on that later).
    Next, inside, is 2" of pea gravel. This is to allow water to drip away from the soil above.
    A folded layer of nylon screen to fully cover the gravel.
    Next for my substrate, "Play sand" is supposed to be cleaned and not toxic, 50/50 mix organic potting soil and sand. This I put in at an avg depth of 3-4 inches.
    In this tank I have 1 Pathos plant, they are hearty and take a bit of doing to kill. Next went the primary log with a deep cave in it. This is the main support for other smaller pieces. In the back in a few rocks directly over the UTH. The UTH disperses it's heat into the rocks and acts as a low heat emitter for possible cold snaps. The UTH also heats the water accumulation under the soil so it evaporates up to the soil.
    I have a digital thermal and humidity sensor dead center on the lit covered by the plastic so it only reads the tank below.

Lara and Bluegenes live in this tank.

sjeffries_breaksthirds-2_zpsce5c0276.jpg

This is a similar build on a 20reg screen top tank. Housing a singe female (Oushi) as she really doesn't play well with ANYTHING...

My humidity is maintained at 55% with lights on and 75-80 with lights off. I have 1-2" of standing water under the soil in the gravel that is heated by the UTH, without the UTH this would be risky as things could grow and smell bad. With the heat I have not had any trouble with smell or growth of nastiness.

My Day temp runs 78-82 and night temps run 72-75. My room is kept warm so these tanks do not see a lower night time temp.

Water is sprayed over the pothos leaves in the AM and PM, most swifts are "dew lappers" and don't drink from a standing water bowl. I am working on a small shallow lid or bowl help off the side of their logs to act as a leaf holding a small amount of water while misting, so it all doesn't roll off the leaves and soak away.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Awesome looking enclosures! Seems like a lot of work but really nice looking!

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Looks nice. I want to do something similar for my crested gecko eventually.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I like it!

5. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

That's an amazing looking set-up!!!!

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

A few more "upgrades" are in the works.

Watering system, human attention span and daily spraying can be an issue on bad days (happens more these days). So I am looking for a mister that can at least get the base needed water movement done.

Isopods, I really want to get a colony going in the 40 to see how they work the soil. Read up some interesting info from the frog groups.

Always looking to upgrade the lighting systems. I'm testing a screw in 35w halogen spot light as a basking light (can be seen in the lower pic to the left) held at 8" from the primary basking point. The light has some overflow to the log below that Oushi moves down to if disturbed. A pic Vers showed me with different focal coverage was helpful in judging my coverage of heat lighting :) These "mini" spots work well for small lizards and are just big enough for my swifts.

Over all the current system is pretty hands off, I don't handle my lizards but do feed from my hand. So the busy fields don't pose problems for me. The "Growth" has to be trimmed back now and again as it can crowd out the light in a couple months.

Thanks for the comments :) I got a new lens yesterday for my camera, a 40mm pancake, and will be able to get some better pics of set ups as they come along. I'll be doing a build here soon as Keni (S. occedentalis) is out growing the hatchling tub :p