This Disappears When Logged In

My Early Birthday Gift

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by WDBILL, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Over the past few weeks, the animal store down the street, had 2 jackson chameleons that mated. They had offspring, and now they were being sold. Many died, as expected, and 3 survived. I'v been watching these 3.
    And since my birthday is tommorrow, (The 17th) my parents said i could have 2 of them! And since the owner of the store is one of my good friends, i took them for free. Their names are Ying, and Yang, Brothers as far as i know. The third one, i know will evantually die, and tommorrow i will ask if i can help this one group and give it some TLC. (Tender Loving Care) But this is good news. As soon as Ying and Yang got to their new home, Ying ate some fruit flies, and Yang explored the cage. I've read varius guides, and i think i'm ready to do the task put before me. Keep the Chams alive!

BTW, i've lost my digital camera so i cant take any pictures ATM.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Cool Bill :) Hope you can keep them alive! Just make sure you house them seperately. Chams get stressed so easy and one of the causes of stress is company. If they are both males, then it will even be worse when they get older cause then they'll fight too.

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

congrats on you new babies, its great you have taken these little guys, :D

How are you housing them? they are very territorial and like to live alone, if you keep them together it can cause great stress.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Congratulations Bill! :) And happy birthday! :D

Just a couple of concerns - as Matt said, make sure you house them separately as chams can get very stressed if housed together, or if housed in glass, where they can see their reflection.

Another is, why did most of them die? You might want to take yours to the vet just for a check-up as if most of their cage mates died there could be a health concern there that might affect yours.

Aside from that, good luck with them, and try and get us some pics soon! :) Also, if you want to check their sex, it's quite easy and you can sex them from when they first hatch - males have a spur on their feet,. a little point at the back of their foot, which is absent on a female. :)

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Sorry Rachel, thats only the veiled cham. These are jackson's ;)

6. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

They live together ATM, i just picked them up and only had one chameleon cage. I dont think they show any aggresive stance, they seem to be together fine, but it could be that there young still. I'm sure that these Chams are like 2 or 3 weeks old. As for the other ones dieing, i'm sure it was an envirment thing. The 2 i just got were almost dead in the shop, but since i put them in their new home, the've quite changed in attitude. As i said Yang explored every inch of the new terranium, and Ying ate like 4 fruitflies. None of these things happened in the pet shop. But i should have them checked out, just to be sure. As far as other elements are concerned in care (Humidity, Temperature, ETC) Humidity is like 95%, i was told to keep it high for the young Chams. And temperature is around 85.

I'm not sure if this is okay, but, its okay if i keep them in the same room as my WD's? Since the WD's have Mesh cages and take in all the humidity as well.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Temperature and humidity sound good. Just make sure the temp drops at night to about 65-70 degrees and the humidity raises a little. As for keeping them in the same room as your WDs, that all depends on if they hacvve a clear view of the WDs. If they can see a large lizard in sight, it will only stress them out. Do you have a UVB light for them yet?

8. Bitis Gabonica

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't read the post properly! :rolleyes:

95% humidity is too high! It needs to be 50-70%. Your temps are fine, but you still need to separate them really, even if you don't see obvious signs of stress they may well be stressed.

2-3 weeks is very young, the pet shop shouldn't have had them on sale so young, but now you have them I hope they do well in your care. It doesn't sound good that their siblings died :( It may well have been the incorrect and stressful environment they were kept in. Good luck.

Also, try a search engine for various care sheets and books. I always like to gather as much information as i can from various sources so that I know I have the correct advice and I can give my animals the best home possible. :)

9. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Yes, i have one UVB for them. 95% humidity too high? When there young they should have more right? 2-3 weeks isnt old enough, i know, i even told Damien that (He owns the shop) He hadnt sold any really, most died, and 2 he gave to me as a present. I just switched to dark light for night time, and i hope when i wake up tommorrow there allright.

10. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Chameleons hide illness very well, and will still eat even when very ill, so its best to get them checked out, just to be safe :D

happy birthday, and hope they do well for you.

11. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

hmm....strange..... I turned off the UV light, and Ying went pale... When i put the UV back on to look at them, he went back to his brown. (Brown for babies in case you didnt know) I dont get it.

12. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Bad News...

I woke up 3 hours ago to hear one thing... "Billy, one of the chamemeleons is dead" I quickly identfied the one that died, as Ying... Ying was pale the night before. Yang doesnt seem effected, he woke up some 15 minutes later, and ate from fruitflies. I'm deeply saddened..but i hope Yang survives...

13. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Bill, my thoughts are with you, :( i sure hope the other little guy does ok for you, did you get them checked over by a vet, if not then maybe a vet visit for the other lil guy would be best, then if you know whats wrong you could work on getting him better, I wish you luck with the other baby, keep us posted.

14. Keggo

Keggo Active Member

Hey Bill! Sorry to hear about Ying... RIP... :( I found this care sheet for you... You've probably already found some, but, here's another!! Take care! :D

Jackson chameleon Care Sheet

15. Bitis Gabonica

I'm so sorry to hear about Ying :( Such a tragedy. My thoughts are with you. And I hope Yang is ok.

Regarding the colour change - chams will often go darker, as will a lot of lizards, when the lights come on so that they absorb more heat (dark colours absorb heat, light colours tend to reflect heat). They also change colour due to stress, mating season, in reaction to other animals, time of day, heat and light, etc..

Please let us know how Yang gets on.. our thoughts are with you.

16. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Awww sorry Bill :(
    I hope Yang does well for you.
    Keep us posted...

Jem

17. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Yang is officially doing great,he has been eating, and drinking. My friends at the pet store are letting me have the other jackson to help it live. I'm looking for a suitable cage for this one atm. I belive yang is a boy, and 'speedy' (As i
    ve started to call him) Is a boy as well. They seem healthy and agile, they both eat and drink. But one thing is confusing me....They hiss, not at each other, at my Mom...Its very strange, first Ike the WD bobs at her, now they hiss at her. They love me, they walk right onto my hand if its in the cage.

18. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I'm so glad to hear that Yang is doing so well!
    Congrats on the new guy to :)

Do you think maybe Mom has some type of purfume on or something that the animals don't like?

19. Bitis Gabonica

It's great news that Yang is doing so well! And I hope you can give the new little guy a good start at life, good luck. Pics??? :D

20. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Before i take pictures, i'd like to know why they both hate my mom. She doesnt wear any prefume, they just...dont like her anymore. I'll go take pictures soon, but my camera is full with florida pics atm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.