This Disappears When Logged In

My Dragons Hate Prickly Pear

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by B3ll3, Nov 16, 2013.

1. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

I have tried to feed them prickly pear but they just don't like it. I've tried it in different colors, with different foods, by itself, and nothing seems to work. Here are pics of the babies trying to eat prickly pear for the fourth and final time

Bruce is always willing to try stuff but it took about two seconds before he was over it and walked away I also put it to the side so he could enjoy his food without it
    1454706_10151698950487610_734033575_n.jpg

Pepper makes this face every time she tries something new! lol I call it the Pepper deciding if she likes food or not face and it goes in phases like this
    phases one: the taste
    1441240_10151698957477610_2064664383_n.jpg

phases two: she stares right at the person who fed her
    1460308_10151698958627610_649707016_n.jpg

phase three: she hates it! you can see the disappointment in her little face
    1463152_10151698965912610_1121144781_n.jpg

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Haha that first pic "Get that out of here!"
    I bought prickly pear last week first time ever, Spikey liked it, I did too. Just didn't know about the pokies until I had to get the tweezers and pull them out of my hands ooops!

3. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

Yea u have to be very careful with that lol

4. z3r0jimmy

z3r0jimmy Elite Member

where do you get prickly pears b3ll3? Apollo is like that with carrots...he sorts it out from his bowl

5. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

I go to the Mexican markets by my house lol I see you live in Nevada so I assume your grocery store or farmers market should have some. They can be big or small and come in many different colors and different names like prickly pear or cactus pear or cactus fruit so dont let them fool you lol Beardies are suppose to love em but for some reason mine arent that big of a fan :) my babies do like carrots but if Apollo isnt eating carrots you could always give him yams provides a lot of the same things for them

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Are you just feeding the fruit, or have you tried the pads? I don't know about beardies, but my uros love the pads (which are better nutritionally).

7. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

Havent tried the pads yet... But I do want to so hopefully they like it.

8. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Laughing my uh... ya laughing hard!!! Omg those pictures are awesome!!! hahaha I knew about the pokies.. ya see... when I first moved to Arizona I tried to eat a cactus fruit... and well.. didn't get them all out so... had them stuck in and under my tongue. Miserable. I seriously only thought about the pads not the fruit. Mexican markets carry them as nopales. some are even canned but I dunno in what.. hmm. side note.. they are good for taking the heat out of sunburns too... anyway... I would just use my peeler and make thin slices and then dice from there. kinda has a texture like cucumber.. ish. My draggons didnt care for the fruit either. Zoey wants orange or yellow fruits. Wash wants red or purple berries or part of a cherry. Both will eat plums. the kids3.5 months old so far have only had a little apple, mango,melon or banana... the banana did not go over well. the babies 7weeks old have had a little apple and cantaloupe.

9. poofandmook

poofandmook Well-Known Member

Seriously, beardie stinkeye is about the cutest thing ever.

10. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

My beardies dont like banana very much!!! Ive tried so many times to get them to eat it lol I thought aloe vera helped sunburns not cactus liek cactus can help with the pain but aloe vera actually helps heal it and soothe it

11. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Uhm I get mine at an international market for like 70 cents a pound or so. Only 1 beardie will eat the pears, but all of them will eat the pads. I just save the pears for the turtles who they they are incredible.

12. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

We do like to keep things fresh for them. We do cycles where they get certain foods for a while then we switch it to different stuff for a while so I really should get these cactus pads on rotation as well. I also would love to make some nopalitos at home too Im sure my bf would love em!!!!

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

The pad is where the real nutrition is. While the fruit contains nutrients as well, it also contains a decent amount of sugar, which is not beneficial. Also, banana should be avoided completely as it has a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio. In fact, I don't believe these animals should be fed much fruit at all.

14. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

You can also find cactus pads @ international food stores and they are nopals also. Uhmm sorry but would it not seem to be common sense - cactus = spines? Hmm maybe I'm just weird but its funneh!!!