This Disappears When Logged In

My Dino - Ameiva

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by tink, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tink

tink Elite Member

My Green Ameiva, named Dinosaur, is very sick. =( He's been acting really sluggish the past 3 days, but I just thought a shed was coming up.

Does anyone know their lifespans? It's so hard to find info on them, I been searching forever.

Anyways, tonight I KNEW something was not right. Anyone that has owned or saw one shuold know they are VERY active lizards. Last year I had him at the vet over his tail. I thought the tip was infected. But the vet said it was just a humidity issuse while shedding and it didn't go well and pinched the tip of his tail. All they could do was cut it off or it'd fall over soon itself. So, he's been fine since, his tail always being last to shed, but nomore has came off. It was only maybe 1/4in then. This shed it happened again, but it was like 2in. He didn't eat his crickets yesterday or the day before, which is very odd, he is a attacker. Even if he's not hungery he goes around and kills them. But they were all crawling around bugging him. So, I cleaned them all out toniht and picke dhim up. He isn't dehydroated nor starving(quite plump). He has no signs of sickness, except for the shedding problem with the tail, but it's about to snap off. The rest of his 5in tail is still beautiful and he looks good. But by tonight he won't open his eyes. I tried to force some water down him, but he spit it out. I have never been able to hold him like this before. Not a tame lizard. He just slowly crawls around the cage and still won't open his eyes. I turned his lights off for the night and turned on the heat mat. He's now under his favorite log were I sat him. I'm pretty sure he wont make it til morning.

You really don't realize how much you care until something happens. I have had him for 3 years now and he was fullgrown when I bought him. I don't know if he was CB or WC.

Do reptiles show signs of "getting old"? He has been sleeping a lot the past few months, but nohing too noticable.

Just in case ya wanna know. He has a deep water dish, 20L tank, UV lighting, and heat mat. I got it at the right temps, dust crickets and all that stuff. I havn't changed his cage or diet recently.

=(

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awww Tink, that is too bad about Dinosaur. I am not sure about the lifespan. We were just looking at a green amieva at the petstore today...a beautiful animal....sorry to hear....Lyn

3. tink

tink Elite Member

Thanks for the thoughts.

He didn't make it through the night like I thought. He was gone this morning when I got up from work. I was kinda pleased God took him though, seeing him like that was so painful. Why do things always happen on a weekend at night when no vets are around? My animals always do that! I suspect they would have wanted him down anyways.

I bought him from a crappy petstore. I saved him esp, because they had heat rocks with them and he was serverly burned on his neck. They tried to say it was just a wound. The vet also confirmed it was a burn. It healed up well, but had a huge scar. At least I gave him a good three years. =)

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Atleast you know that he is in a better place (where there aren't ANY heatrocks at all ;))

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

sorry to hear about your loss :(

6. tink

tink Elite Member

I lol'ed at that. :)

Thanks guys.

7. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Cassie,

Sorry to hear about Dinosaur, i feel your loss. You gave him a chance that he would not have had, had you not saved him from that pet store. Time will heal the wounds!

Steve

8. angel

angel Elite Member

That is so sad. I am sorry to hear of your loss. You did a wonderful job giving him the time he had with you.
    Angel

9. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Sorry for you loss Tink!
    Your post reminded me of an episode today. I went to a pet store where some months ago I convinced them to change most of their herp setups because they were just wrong!
    Today I've found everything like the way it was before, all herp enclosures were brutally neglected and the animal's look made my heart tiny.
    They have these 2 leos that never had a &%#$ hide for the entire year they have been on display. Every time I go there I ask them to put one of those inverted U logs so that they can hide from the light but still be seen by the customers and every time I return they are awake at any time of the day, trying to dig the thin layer of substrate, unable to take shelter anywhere.
    This is one of those rare occasions when I wish I was rich!

10. tink

tink Elite Member

That is sad. =( They are not providing logs, so they don't hide and people see them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.