This Disappears When Logged In

My Corn Snake Won't Eat, Please Help...

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Petidoktor, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Petidoktor

Petidoktor Member

I bought my baby corn snake 4 weeks ago or so. He was feeding perfectly, and took frozen thawed pinkie mice. I usually took him out of the terrarium and fed him in a box, then put him back just like I do with all my snakes, and there were no problems. 2 weeks ago he entered his shedding cycle, shed his skin without matter in 4 days of entering the cycle. But ever since shedding his skin, he won't take any source of food. There are no reptile vets where I live so please don't suggest taking it to a vet. I'm very worried, please help, thanks...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Describe exactly how you are housing it. And photos of the enclosure will help

3. Merlin

And how often are you feeding it?

4. Petidoktor

Petidoktor Member

Well, the exhibit is an around 15 gallon tank, I use a heat pad to seperate the warm side from the cold, both sides have hides. I fed him every 6 days before, when he was eating fine. I hope this helps, my phone is dead so pics are a no-go, and thanks for the quick reply.

5. Merlin

What are the temps?

And when you say exhibit, do you mean it is a high traffic location?

6. Petidoktor

Petidoktor Member

No, just a bad use of words, I have a seperate reptile room. They have total peace. The temps around 80 F at the cold side and 85 F in the warm. I tried feeding him today too, but he still refuses to eat.

7. Merlin

Ok thanks for the clarification. Is it possible the snake is being overhandled. I would suggest totally leaving the snake alone for a week. No handling or feeding attempts. At the end of the week try to feed.
    Are you feeding live or f/t. You could try feeding live to see if that makes a difference. A pinky can't hurt the snake.

8. Petidoktor

Petidoktor Member

Thank you Merlin, very helpful! I don't usually handle my reptiles too much, but as a secondary job I do take them to schools and kindergardens to encourage kids to like reptiles, instead of hating and hurting them in their future. I've thought all my animals so far that the human hand does not mean harm, and they all do very well, even with kids :) But this happens once a month or so, so it really isn't stressful for the animals, they love being the stars! Long story short, I left little Ekans (my corn snake) alone for a day (I only handled him to get him used to my touch) and that did the trick. He ate frozen thawed pinkie without fuss. I guess he's not the star he's gonna be yet :D Sorry for the post, I do overworry things from time to time...