This Disappears When Logged In

My corn snake isn't eating!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Wittychick88, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wittychick88

Wittychick88 New Member

My snake is four years old and I've never had a problem before. This week when I offered her a pre killed mouse (Which she usually eats with gusto) she ignored it. I know she's not in shed because she shed two weeks ago. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

2. chris7033

chris7033 Elite Member

not hunger?

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

She may just not be hungry right now. She could be sensing the winter season coming. Try not to worry. Missing a few meals will not hurt her.
    Check that her temperatures are OK and make sure she has plenty of fresh water available.
    Wait another week and try feeding again.
    Good luck!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Skipping a week is not unusual. Sometimes they just aren't hungry!
    I would just give another week and try again.

5. aarathi

aarathi Member

I thought she is pregnant.

6. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

My corns have all skipped a meal at least once. Wait a week or two, and offer a pre killed mouse inside a brown bag or a critter keeper covered with a dark towel. Try offering the food at night, double check your temps. It has happened before that one of my corns actually went off feed for a good month and a half, just stayed in its hide the whole time. If this is so make sure theres water and try to keep it undisturbed. Like said above your snake may be sensing the approach of winter, where naturally they will begin to stop eating, and try to brumate/hibernate. Keep us posted and hope she eats within a few weeks so as not to keep you too worried.

7. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I adopted a corn snake from a local rescue, that my friends used to run... When I got him, he hadnt taken a meal in over 6 mos... It was almost like he never came out of brumation... and then I raised his temps for a few days, then droped them back down to normal and poof he ate, like he never skipped a beat. When he wasnt eating, because it was so long, I weighed him regularly, to make sure he wasnt loosing too much weight. I wouldnt try messing with the temps till brumation season is over tho... and others are right too... if they arnt hungry, they dont eat...

8. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

o ya, if you are going to brumate your snake, make sure it does so on an empty stomach, or else it can die.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unless you are attempting breeding there is no reason to brumate your corn! If the corn is not in tip top shape it may not survive brumation. Just keep the temps where they normally need to be and you should be fine. None of my snakes are ever brumated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.