This Disappears When Logged In

My Chameleon

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by ronaldjohn, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronaldjohn

ronaldjohn Member

Me and my son just got a chameleon with his Christmas money and my son held him a lot(as the pet shop had advised us to), but after about 2 months he suddenly turned really grumpy. Is this usual or could there be something wrong?:confused:

2. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I don't know a lot about Chameleons, but did your son squeeze him or anything of that sort? Don't quote me on this, but last I heard, chameleons weren't all that sociable...best ask someone else though, I think I'm probably wrong here.

3. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

First off, what type of chameleon is it? I'm not sure that is what caused the problem but chameleons (of any kind) don't usually like to be handled too often. Can you describe the tank set up as well as any tank mates?

~Beardie~

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The pet shop was wrong.
    Chams are really more of a display animal. They don't really care to be handled.

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I agree. I have a veiled chameleon. They are very territorial. If you bought yours as a baby, Chances are he's growing up and will undoubtedly get even more grumpier. I don't even touch mine. He's about two years old and if I come too close to him while maintaining his enclosure he will hiss and lunge for my hand! Those little teeth feel like a hack saw!lol
    Continued handling will just stress him out. They are easily stressed anyway. You should have plenty of natural or artificial foliage so that he can easily hide. It makes it hard to see him but, it's best for his mental health.:) They can become so stressed that they will not eat and will eventually die.

Many reptiles can be tamed through regular handling. Chams on the other hand can not. The pet store didn't know the difference.

6. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I was right then. *is shocked*

7. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

Yes, don't touch. I know I've got a pic posted of girlfriend on my arm. But honestly the only time I've had her out is for a quick picture then back in the cage.

Another thing to watch for is dark colors as it means stress.

What kind of cham is it?

Linda.

8. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Outside of Panthers that seem to be the most social chams I've worked with, most others prefer to be left alone. We only handled our veiled when needed. At about the age of six months most Chameleons have become rather territorial, Panthers seem to be the exception to this rule as most of the ones I've been able to work with will even come to the front of the cage to be taken out.

9. ronaldjohn

ronaldjohn Member

OK thanks. His cage is about 2 foot wide by 3 foot high with a waterfall in the bottom corner and 2 fake plants up in the top bit that he likes to sleep in and there are a few vines around it where he likes to sit on to bask in the lights.;) He is a Veiled chameleon. The pet shop said veiled chameleons and yemen ones are the same type. Is this true?

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes same thing.

11. ronaldjohn

ronaldjohn Member

ok thanks.;)

12. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

What type of cage do you have? You should have an all screen enclosure.
    They require the ventilation of a screen cage. Without it, they may develop an Upper respiratory infection.

~Beardie~

13. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I actually keep mine in a parrot sized birdcage. Chams need lighting that provides UVB and the relatively wide bars of the birdcage allows a lot more light to get through than screen. It also comes with a plastic tray at the bottom that is good in catching the water from the dripper and the water evaporating from the tray adds more humidity. I keep my cham in my "reptile" room that has no AC and a portable hot oil radiator that keeps the whole room warm.

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

be sure you have a 5.0 UVB light for him. They require it. Also be sure you have plenty of cover for him to feel secure in.

15. ronaldjohn

ronaldjohn Member

His cage is pretty much a big net wrapped round some poles that make a rectangle.He quite likes it because he can climb everywhere on it.He likes to hang upside down at the top when he's not basking.lol
    Its an Exo-Terra cage(i think) if that will help at all.
    At the bottom is a reptile carpet, is this alright or should i use something different, because my local pet shop has advised me to do many things that have proved to be wrong.
    I will try to put a picture of him and his cage on one day.
    Thank you everybody for all your help!:p

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Reptile carpet is fine. What they really need is high humidity, so many people place a cool mist humidifier under the tank. Do you have a digital thermometer/hygrometer?

If he's climbing up the walls all the time, he may need some more cross branches and vines. :)

17. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

it would be a good idea to put a live plant or two in there for him as well, this will give him climbing areas, and will help with hummidity, Pothos is a good one, very hardy, has a vine like structure. I have one in each of my chams cages and they both seem to prefer it to the other plants

18. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I use what I believe to be a good product. It's called "Bio Vine". It is a synthetic vine that has a metal wire running through the middle of it so that you can bend it anyway you want. It's made by T-Rex. It comes in spools of up to 50 feet.

http://www.t-rexproducts.com/media/products/large/812865.jpg

19. ronaldjohn

ronaldjohn Member

Ok thanks, I will try and get all of these things :):)

20. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Liz suggested you get a thermometer/hygrometer and the best place I have found them is wal mart and I have heard they have them @ home Depo as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.