This Disappears When Logged In

My Burmese Doesnt Seem to Be Growing All That Fast?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Wjohnson, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Wjohnson

Wjohnson Member

So I purchased a male burmese python in 2013 around July at a reptile expo. He was already a year old when I got him. All is good with him except for the fact that he doesn't seem to be growing all that much. From what I read online before I got him is that they're supposed to have a pretty rapid growth rate. I haven't measured him or anything because he's not so keen on being measured. As of right now he's only in a 20 gallon long with an under the tank heater and a UVB heating bulb keeping his cage a average of of about 85 to 90 degrees. I didn't see the point in investing in a nice enclosure for him because I didn't think he would be in this tank very long. I mist his cage close to 3 times a day to keep his enclosure an average of 80 to 85 percent humidity. I feed him about once or twice throughout the week with large mice or small rats. He has only refused maybe 2 meals and I chalked it up to the fact that he was in shed. Roughly I would say he's only like 2-4 feet. Somewhere in between those lines. I'm just a little concerned that possibly I'm not doing something correctly for my little guy. If any other information is needed about the enclosure and such ask away. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Just give him time. They may be know to be generally fast growers but they don't hit adult size overnight ;) Good luck.

3. Wjohnson

Wjohnson Member

Does that all seem to check out though? I just worry a little to much about my scaley babies I think. Lol

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

How big is he actually? 2foot snake would be fine with small rats a 4ft snake will do better with medium rats at least... Also why are you feeding twice a week? Also you said an "average" of 85-90degrees, are you allowing for the animal to have a hot side and a cool side? There should be some gradient and your humidity seems high to me I think 70-80% may work better..... How are you measuring everything? Any chance we can get a picture ?

5. Wjohnson

Wjohnson Member

He's probably closer to the 2-3 foot range. I'm not that great of a judge with length. I only feed him twice if he looks hungry throughout the week. He generally eats only once a week. As yes he has a hot and cool side of the tank. It's usually about 90 degrees in his basking spot and about 80-85 near the cooler side of his tank. I measure the temp with just those cheap thermometers you place on the wall of the tank from like Petco which I have on both sides of the tank and I also have one of those laser heat sensing guns. I can get a picture in like an hour or so though.

6. Wjohnson

Wjohnson Member

Actually I just got a hold of a friend that has lots of experience keeping a burms and he said he would swing by and have a look a him in the next couple of days. But thanks for all the help and advice!

7. EriksExotics

Sounds good to me and I understand the concern. However, It sounds like you're doing fine and he that he is growing fine. I'd recommend a bigger cage but everything seems good

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

you can just throw out those stick on thermometers as they are junk they are horribly inaccurate... you might as well be guessing the temps and humidity.... you need to go get a digital therm/hydrometer combo with a probe from petco or Walmart... you can get a decent one from Walmart for like 12 bucks......

9. EriksExotics

Didn't see that you have a stick on type thermometer. You definitely want to get a digital one

10. Wjohnson

Wjohnson Member

Took you advice and got myself some digital stuff. I'm actually going to the hamburg show in a couple of days and hoping to find a decent cage for him. Everything is fine with my little guy though. Thanks for the advice though. :)

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

11. EriksExotics

I'm glad to hear :) I'm also glad to hear that you're looking for a nice cage! Look for one that is 6-8 feet long. You can get great deals at expos usually