This Disappears When Logged In

My Boy Elroy.....help Me......please!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by redtailgal, Nov 14, 2011.

1. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I knew about the greens off the potato but not from the tomato!

Thanks for the head up.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They are both in the nightshade family. Thats why people that feed tomato hornworms to insect eaters are advised to purchase them and not feed those that they pull from the garden.
    At one time even the fruit of the tomato was thought to be poisonous.

3. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Do any of you have suggestions on how to minimize the reflections inside the glass of the enclosure?

I have tried adjusting the angle of his lights, and tried covering the outside of the glass, but the reflections are coming from inside (I hope that made sense). He is charging the glass when he is in the enclosure, he sees his own reflection......and I am worried that he is gonna get a sore nose!

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Maybe tape up some paper or fabric on the inside of the enclosure?

5. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I taped up some brown bandannas for now.

It looks real classy, but it may get us through the night.:p

6. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

OK I am furious. Head bobbing, tail whipping rip someone's arm off furious.

My mother ran into the wife of the man that used to own Elroy. She asked mom how Elroy was doing, so mom told her that he was "in rut" and was a hormonal monster to everyone except me. Mom told her how ELroy is moving all over his cage, that he is brightly colors and bites right now because of his hormones. Great.

The old bat (not my mother the other lady) calls me up and tells me that I am "screwing up the lizard". He never bit before he came to me (uh, yeah, cuz he was too cold to move) AND the man had told me that he would thump Elroy on the head for biting. He didnt eat nearly as much as my mother said he was eating now (um COLD Lizard!). SHe says that Elroy should not be moving around in his cage so much.......reptiles are "extremely sedentary and move only when needed", she also says that the enclosure that he is in is WAYYYY too big.

Now she says that she is coming to get "her lizard!". FAT chance.

Let that snot show up here. I'll hand her the vet bills, that will change her tune in a hurry. He is legaly mine, I have a contractual agreement, signed and dated. It will be a mighty cold day before she even lays eyes on my Elroy.

What a nutcase.

Oooohhhh. I'd like to clock her, just once right in the jaw.

BTW, Elroy is doing fine. He seems to be less aggressive the past couple days and continues to amaze me at how much he is eating (and pooping GEESH).

I got him a stuffed lizard. Apparently, its a girl lizard. I let him "play" with his new friend when he is out of his cage. I forgot to shut the door to "our" room the other day, and as soon as I put him down, he RAN to the bathroom and crawled into the tub. His EX owners told me that "lizards were too dumb to learn" (ok so why was he thumping him for aggression).

grrrrrr...

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just consider the source and ignore them.
    They aren't worth the aggravation!

8. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I would have had a few words for that woman involving animal abuse and some choice language that isn't HC appropriate.

Glad Elroy likes his Love Lizard.

9. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I *think* that Elroys hormones are settling down.

He didnt try to bite anyone today!

I cannot seem to satisfying his desire to climb. I have allowed him a little more climbing in his enclosure, not much because he still lacks muscle and falls easily (don wanna break dem bones). I did bring the "cat climber" in our room.......He has a soft landing place in there. BUT he prefers to climb on me.

He kept getting in the way today, so I put him down on the floor and aimed him at his climber. He turned around and climbed my leg, got on my desk, walked across my keyboard and tried to climb up on my shoulder. I didnt accomplish anything today because he was all over everything. I piled up pillows on the bed, thinking he could explore that, but NOOOO, he JUMPED from the bed to my desk, giving me a heart attack in the process.

Finally, this evening, he decided to stop and eat the food that I had put out on the desk. Then he pooped on one of my books, and crawled up INSIDE one of the pillowcases and went to sleep.

I also have lizard tongue prints all over my computer screen.

Good grief.

I'm glad that he feels better, I really am. But will he slow down eventually? Its like having a toddler on a rampage.

10. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Lol, I have my normal snotty brat back today. He is still crawling and climbing all over everything, but now he is hissing at me when I make him get off of something (like my head) or when I make him get out of something (like my boots).

He is so very curious! He also found the heat vent today. At just the right time of day, the sun shines thru the window and hits that vent. He has been trying to lay on the vent when the heat is on, so I put him a small "basking" area about 6 inches over it. Now when that heat comes on AND the sun is shining on top of him........well, Elroy thinks he has died and gone to heaven.

His previous owner did call, and I told her the total of the vet bills, plus the food cost, and the money I have put into enclosures, equipement etc. She decided that she didn't really want him back after all.

Good news! (finally) We had our follow up at the Vet's office today. Bloodwork looked pretty good, no sign of infection, and the calcium is on its way up! The x-ray showed a lot of improvement on his heart, vet feels that the exercise is to blame for that. There is still a little fluid around the heart, but not enough that we are so concerned. I knew that his heart was doing better because he hasnt panted with exertion in several days. There were still no breaks in his bones, and the vet felt that the bones were starting to look a little denser. Elroy is still gaining weight.

Soo, we are off all meds, except for the daily calcium supplement (that is permanant). I am to allow him more climbing now, since he has developed some muscle tone and can actually hang on to stuff now (I have the arms to prove that). I can't quite just turn him loose on the climbing, but I can give him more leeway (and watchhim carefully). Thank Goodness for that! I wasn't sure that I would be able to hold him back much longer. His newfound energy amazes me!

I am also very very proud to report that this visit to the vet went amazingly well. Elroy tried to bite a couple times, but it was no where near as bad as it has been being. And when we came home, I set the carrier down in "our" room, opened the door and he crawled right out and up my leg!

He is a totally different boy now! He is still very fearful about somethings. Men bother him alot. Sudden noises will send him into a panic. He can not handle being loose in my living room yet, i think it's too big and he ends up frightened ( will have to be very careful when I introduce him to the outside this spring!).

He is still not ready for me to take his old tank out of the new enclosure. He is good about getting in the basking area, and I have been scattering his food to encourage explorations (and make it a postive thing). He will use his bath pan. And I provided him with a new moist hide. But when he is frightened, he returned to that horrible tank. The tank will come out this evening. He needs the floor space.

wish me luck!

11. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

She DID want him after all, or did you mean didn't? Just wanted to make sure!

So glad that there are no infections and the calcium is getting better! I can't believe how bad his poor heart got. I bet not being able to move much really hurt it a lot!

The iguana might always have a fear of men--they sense hormones differently than we do. So while a man might just be a human who happens to be a dude, for an iguana it's a whole range of hormones and smells that are completely different than what he's used to with women. His fear/anger COULD die down also after breeding season. At least partially!

Good luck!!

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

might be time then to force him out of the tank. Good luck with that. He'll adjust. Glad the vet visit went well.

13. justor

justor Elite Member

Glad everything seems to be improving. And glad Elroy's old owner backed off.

Good luck with getting his tank out of there, that'll be a big step!

14. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I took out the tank. I have a very upset lizard.

I put his hide where the tank was, and he hasnt came out. Poor guy.

Maybe he will not hate me tomorrow. If he does, I am sure he will get over it with his next mood swing.

I bought him a fresh pepper for tomorrow. Yes, I am ruthless.

15. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

He just wants to feel safe, the cage was his old hide. He'll feel more secure soon! I'm sure he'll loooove that pepper! :) might help smooth over the transition!

16. jcb

jcb Member

Redtailgal how about some more Pics of his enclouser and Elroy

17. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I have very limited bandwidth but will try to upload some next time I am at a certain friends house.

18. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

HI folks! Is the site having some problems? I havent been able to get it to load for a couple days. Obviously, it loaded today but it took forever. Navigating around the site is very difficult as well, it took me 15 minutes to bring up 4 messages. I've had some trouble with my ISP this month, but it is supposed to be fixed. I just do not like sattelite internet.

Anyway, to update on Elroy.

We did get the tank out of the enclosure, but not without drama. He lunged at me everytime I went by for a while, but he dealt with it, and has learned to chill in his new box when he needs a moment to himself.

Elroy and I did have a pretty major fight this morning, and at the moment, he and I are not speaking. It was nice a sunny here, so I opened the front door for him. We have a glass storm door, so Elroy could lay in the sun (so to speak) and bask. He loved it. He loved it a little too much and got territorial over that area, tail whipping me and trying to run me off. He got the broom, instead. I pushed him out of the sunny spot with the broom, and he ran over and latched onto my pants.....gator rolling them, lol. So, he got pushed off my leg with the broom. He continued to try to charge but ended up running into that darned ole broom everytime. Eventually, he STOMPED, literally stomped, off and went back into his enclosure to pout and bob his head at me. He is such a spoiled brat.

I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas! Eat well, and be safe.

19. justor

justor Elite Member

Not to make light of the stressful situation, but I found that update rather humorous :). Elroy has so much personality. Sounds just like a child when he doesn't get his way!

20. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I got the situation with the site worked out. I cleared out cookies and that helped. Have no idea why, but it helped.

Elroy is very much like a spoiled child. He is demanding, moody, clingy, and demanding. Oh and did I mention demanding?

He still hasnt came back out of his enclosure, lol. He is sitting under his basking light, with his back to me now. lol. I'm gonna be heartless and shut his door and leave him to his snotty attitude now.

Oh and WOW and OMIGOSH........a good tail whip across the leg HURTS! lol, I have welts! THe brat............