This Disappears When Logged In

My Boy Elroy.....help Me......please!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by redtailgal, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would add some grated orange skinned squash as part of the staples. Acorn, butternut, even pumpkin. And grated sweet potatoes are good too.
    I would limit the spinach and chard to maybe once every couple of weeks if at all.

2. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

How often to feed the orange skinned squash?

3. Merlin

You can actually feed it as a staple, so you could go every day if you wish.
    Mine gets it when ever we have squash for dinner.

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

In my house that is never. :)

5. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

We have yellow squash quite a bit. Pumpkin at times......could I freeze raw pumpkin for him? Sweet potatoes are easy enough. They are on the list, I don know why I wasnt using them. We grow our own nad have several bushels in the pack house! Sweet potatoes tomorrow!

6. Merlin

The yellow squashes aren't as good for them as the orange skinned varieties.
    And freezing raw pumpkin is fine. I usually stock up after halloween when you can get them dirt cheap!

7. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

cool beans.

8. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Mmmm, I would have trouble sharing my butternut squash. :)

9. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Well, Elroy REALLY likes sweet potatoes. ALot.

He was in a mood today. As soon as I opened his door, he decided he was going to tail whip me, and when that didnt work, the lil brat charged me and bit me! Soooo, we had some snuggle time. lol

He has really been a bear this week. He his shedding his face and dewlap, and I am pretty sure its driving him batty. I am doing the bath and misting his face several times a day, and taking a toothbrush to it (ooohhh, he likes that), but he is still just itchy.

I've added his final shelf to his enclosure, he now has full range. He has developed some muscle, but I still would like to see his legs thicken up more, they are still puny compared to the ig's I see on here. He has to work pretty hard to climb, but it should get easier as his legs develop. His toes, though, are a problem. He is missing several toenails, and his toes are just gnarly. Some curl up towards the ceiling. The vet had said that they may straighten out some as he begins to move, but I dont think they are going to.

I am happy to report that is all the update. Elroy is eating, pooping and head bobbing, and I am waiting on him hand and foot. So, everything is normal.

10. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

It is so good to see the care you are giving this lucky iguana!!!!! Great work!!!!!

11. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

Well, It's been a year now.

I'm reminiscing, looked thru the old pictures, and re-read this thread. WOW. That first post seems like so long ago, lol.

One year later, Elroy is a fat lizard, he even has a few toenails now. He hasnt made a move to bite in MONTHS. At this moment, I sit in the living room, and Elroy is out exploring the house. He is in the hallway right now, tasting the ever interesting floor molding.

He allows my husband and my teen children to feed him and although he will not go to them willingly, he will allow them to hold him.

He still loves his bath, and comes running to the sound of running water, lol.

We still cannot go outside without him becoming VERY stressed and absolutely terrified, so I'll not be pursuing that any longer.

He has MUSCLES! He can climb the silk trees on his own now, though still has some difficulty due to his damaged toes.

He is filled out, studly and way to sexy for his spikes. He is a head bobbing fool, lol. He lets me know if I mess up and let his food bowl get empty by scratching the glass. He knows when I let him out in the mornings to go straight to the tub. He loves Friday nights......the house is empty except for me and him and the cat, so the three of us pile up with a movie. I dont think Elroy really watches the movie, but he does sprawl out on my lap and have a good snooze.

He has learned his "spot" when I am carrying him, and will ride with his head and front legs on my shoulder, with his body draped across my chest, and his tail draped over my other arm. Hubby says it looks like a carry him like one would put a baby on their shoulder, lol.

Best of all, our check up with the vet....The words of the vet........"he looks great, see you next year". YES! SWEET MUSIC to my ears!

Looking back, I am horrified that I ever pondered the option of having him Euth'd. What a fool I would have been!

Looking back, I realize that agreeing to take Elroy was the best stupid decision I have ever made.

THANK YOU, people. I could not have helped Elroy without your helping me. Elroy is alive, happy, and comfortable. Elroy is finally ENJOYING his life, and you folks are a big part of why he can do that.

Hats off to you. My lizard love owes you his life.

love to you all!

12. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I am so thankful you two found each other :)

13. dcluver04

dcluver04 Active Member

I have no shame in the fact that I cried, laughed, and smiled ALOT in this thread. It makes me sick how abusive people can be towards innocent animals. It is heartwarming reading everything you have done for Elroy and I only wish there were more people like you in the world. ( I cried again typing this, what can I say? I am an animal loving sap)

14. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

lol, I smiled, laughed and cried alot too. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but dont give me too much credit. Elroy has been a real trooper and the folks on this site are just as responsible for his new life!

15. dcluver04

dcluver04 Active Member

Credit goes to both of you and everyone in this thread then.;)