This Disappears When Logged In

My Beardy

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by rev294, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Ok, should i make him a play area with sand or not?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

When the dragons are young, it`s easy for them to eat sand when they pick up the insects, and this can cause impaction (blockage) so NO sand! But when the dragon is full grown there will be less chance of this happening... Many people in Australia ( where this animal comes from) Do use some sand, ( maybe a small tray in a corner of the tank) even the top scientists who study these animals in the wild and in captivity, but other people, particularly in America do NOT like to use it..... For the time being, I think you should use reptile carpet or tiles etc,. Also, these animals DO climb into trees, I`ve seen them many, many times..... so if you want to put a strong branch in the tank, that`s o.k., but make sure your dragon can`t get too close to the heat lamps, and make sure the branch is fixed firmly in place!

3. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

no I'm not going to feed him in it like a pile of sand that he can play in

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

No sand. At this point it is too dangerous.

Bearded dragons do not live on sand in the wild. They don't need a 'play area'.

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

And if you put branches in there make sure they are as wide as the dragons body.

6. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Fine then no play area for him. Wait how about a play area out side with a roof of course. Would chicken wire work or silk fence?

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Out side is good, as long as its warm enough. Chicken wire cuts off toes, you would want hardware cloth that is welded. Any home depot or lowes carries it.

you could also build a hip leash for him and just take him out in the grass. The leash will keep him from getting away and he will have outside play time.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Dragons love climbing, so if you can put some rocks in for him to climb then it will be like his play area. ;)

How much are you feeding him now?

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

another note on the feeding of him: everyone's saying essentially, more protein, which is absolutely what your dragon needs. BD's are omnivores by nature, with the young eating primarily meat/insects, and a small amount of vegetation. This will reverse a little as he ages and gets closer to adult size.

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You said that your mom will be home on the 11th, did you give her the care sheet? Did you tell her how much he is suppose to eat and did you get the food?

How much is he eating now?

11. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

he already grown like an inch from feeding him alot

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Growing is a good thing :)

Keep feeding a lot and healthy and your beardy will have a long and happy time with you :)

13. schlegelbagel

Poor thing was hungry! Keep up the good feeding! :)

14. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

ok I will

15. rylander

rylander New Member

Have you tried woodies? When a beardie has been malnourished it can take years to grow and may never attain true growth.

16. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

what are woodies

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi rev294, I`m glad to hear he`s growing, well done! As far as I know, "woodies" are woodlice, they curl up into a little ball and are gray in colour, ( At least that`s what I`ve always called them)...? They may also be `roaches...?

18. schlegelbagel

We call them pill bugs or potato bugs. ;)

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or simply rolley polleys!

20. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Another thing that's popular around my house, Ants and Rolley Polley's, hmmmm I wonder maybe I should grab some up and start breeding them... I am sure that my husband would then think I am crazy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.