This Disappears When Logged In

My Beardy

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by rev294, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m with you on this one, Steve....Also; (Quote) "They are well equipped to handle cold, and actually it is best for them"?? That`s not true at all, cold is extremely BAD for them! I think you mean a drop at night is good, I agree with that! This animal needs building up, so if he wants to feed before going to school in the morning, the animal needs to be "warmed up" quite early in the day! You were asking about another lamp.... You could get a 40watt bulb which will increase the temps a little....Try a normal household bulb and see how much it raises the temp.

2. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Yes my room is always in the 70's but in his cage on the hot side is like 105 so there's no problem with temp.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Your temps. are fine, have you managed to get any extra insects yet, and what`s he had to eat today? Thanks!

4. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

no I have not got extra insects because my parents aren't home and I feed him his Vegs. at 1:00 and ill see if I can call my dad to get some insects for later.

5. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

one question can bearded dragons eat night crawlers if so tell me. and dont i crush the heads of the super worms before i feed them

6. KDReptiles

KDReptiles Active Member

Nightcrawlers are definitely not a good idea.

And superworms should not be fed to a young dragon because their large size. Also, they should not be fed very often, they are a treat. And no, you don't need to do anything with the supers. It is a myth that they chew out of the dragon's stomach.

7. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

ok no night crawlers and I'm going to us super worms or just meal worms to feed him for a week then ill get more crickets next week and the meal worms.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Earthworms are ok but only as a treat

9. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

earthworms arent they the same as nightcrawlers o yea I also feed my lzard a wax worm and 10 crickets today but I'm going to give him more at 7:30

10. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Superworms are good, in fact many people use them as a staple in their diet. It's waxworms that should be used as a treat because they are high in fat.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yes earthworms and night crawlers are the same thing.

And wax worms are the same as worms, not to often because they are high in fat and low in nutritional value

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's the nice thing about crickets - they gut load easily, so you have some control over their nutritional value. That makes them a great staple, with other bugs to be added for variety. (but that's just my opinion.)

My dragon (Granted, a CWD, not a beardie) prefers superworms. I give her a mixed dish of supers and crickets, and she'll pick out the supers and leave the crickets!

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

My Whites Tree Frogs LOOOOOOVE superworms. They'll take those over crickets any day. I do gutload my supers the same way as my crickets. The added moisture keeps them from cannibalizing each other too.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Every time I try gut loading supers, I end up with molding problems. How are you doing it?

15. schlegelbagel

The collard leaves tend to just dry out. And I use carrots instead of sweet potato, they tend to not mold. Apple cores too. Are you using what germ? I keep it all up high, on top of egg crates and not in the substrate. They find it.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can get away with shredded carrots. I'll have to try some collard.

17. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

ok can we get back to my dragon any ways the place were I bought it from said it is a year old but I don't blive them because isn't he to small for a year old dragon

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

It is very hard to establish the age of any reptile by size. There are a lot of factors that can cause a dragon not to grow for instance:
    Not enough food.
    Not the correct lights.
    Stress

So your dragon could have been 1 year old.

19. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

If you aren't feeding your dragon properly, which I'm pretty sure we have established is a problem over the last 12 pages, it won't grow. It uses all of the energy from the food you feed it just to survive, it doesn't have any extra to devote to growth.

20. schlegelbagel

Does it really matter how old it is? I would concentrate on the proper diet, than worrying about age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.