This Disappears When Logged In

My Beardy

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by rev294, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

I have had my bearded dragon for about 5 or 6 months and it doesn't look like he has grown a lot, only like 5 or 7 inches.

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Tell us about your complete setup, maybe the problem is there and you just don't see it.;)

The exact temperature on both sides of the cage.
    I can tell you from the photos in your album that the temperature gauges that you are using are not accurate at all. You need to get a digital one.

What lights you are using, the make and strength + how old they are.
    I only see one light in your cage, is it a basking and uvb light combined?

What are you using to keep the night temps up?

What and how often are you feeding him?

Remember, he might have grown, you just did not notice it because you are always with him.;)

3. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

He is in the full cage length now and the light is a basking and uvb light. And I feed him every day which is weird because he is a German giant and a sunshine combined and plus I have to update my pics because those are from december.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What brand/type is the bulb. What are sold as "basking" lights arenot UVB lights.
    You need to give us the information asked for in order for us to be of any help.

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

have any pics

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

But what IS the cage size. Full cage describes nothing to me.

7. musicman

musicman Member

If you are unsure get him checked to make sure. The set up is key though. I got a lot of good info here from the members and my beardie is thriving. I did notice this started after I changed some things around in the setup.

8. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

I'll get some pics tommorrow of him and the cage and the cage in a 90 gallon and the light is a power sun UV professional series.

9. Merlin

But what are your temperatures?

10. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

What specie of Beardie is he? Some species are smaller than others

11. Merlin

All we have available over here are Vittaceps and occassionally Rankins.

12. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Okay well that cross's out that possibility

13. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

This is the picture of Ozzy that I took today.

[​IMG]

and the place were I bought it said he was a cross between a German giant and a sunflower.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You did start this thread because you are worried about your beardie, the next step would be to fix the problem. ;)

Give us the exact rundown of your cage and then we can help figure out what the problem might be. Judging from the picture your beardie is very small and skinny, so lets fix that.;)

What is the temperature under the basking light and on the cold side?
    Powersun UV, does it also say UVB and how old is the light?
    What is the temperature at night?
    What are you using at the bottom of the cage, carpet etc?
    How often does he poop and what does the poop look like?
    How much and what is he eating per day?

I understand that you do not have a digital thermometer, they are really not expensive so try and get one. But for know just tell us what your temperature gauges says.;)

Lastly, little bumps on his back along the spine usually indicates impaction, just check if there is any and if there is tell us about it, dont press on it.

15. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Ok the temperature the basking light is 105 most of the time and at night it goes down to 75 degrees and the light is 5 months old.

There is carpet on the bottom of the cage he poops every day and it is solid but what should I get when I go to the pet store for lizard stuff.

16. Merlin

But what are you feeding?

17. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

ok i feed him sherded vegtabals and 10 large crickets every 2 day so it goes crickets vegeys crickets and so on

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

What sorts of greens are you feeding him? They should not be getting lettuce or anything like that. They should be getting: Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Turnip greens and such. Also, I am no Beardie expert by any means, but maybe someone else here can affirm this: I have a friend with Beardies and she uses Dragon pellets of some sort. They are little gummy-cubes that have lots of vitamins and stuff in them.

Oh - and are you giving them Calcium powder with NO Phosphorus or D3?

19. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

10 crickets every 2 days is nowhere near enough. I used to go through 100 crickets a week. That's about 15 a day. You should also feed a daily salad of Mustard, collard an other dark leafy greens such as dandelion. Make sure you dust the crickets at LEAST every other day, so that he is getting the proper amount of calcium.

Here's a link for a good Beardie Salad: http://www.herpcenter.com/bearded-dragons/18730-perfect-bearded-dragon-salad.html

20. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

ok I got a electric thermometer and I'm going back to the pet store on Monday so that should hold him till then right and his veg. Looks like there is no lettuce and yes I dust all his food with calcium powder no rip off powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.