This Disappears When Logged In

My Baby Iguana Is Turning Brown!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by CristyTrotty, Oct 9, 2018.

1. CristyTrotty

CristyTrotty New Member

My baby Wiz is about 5 months old and is very active. He was bright green but all of a sudden within 3 days he has turned rusty brown. We put him in a bigger cage just 10 days ago and about 4 days ago our weather has gotten colder and rainy. Would these 2 things affect his color? I just want my baby to be healthy so please any help you can give.

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Probably stress from the new cage, and there might be something in the weather change as well. However, there are some serious issues with your setup if you want that iguana to live a long and healthy life. The 2 main issues are the screen top and the analog temp/ humidity gauge. Iguanas require high humidity and temps to thrive, and a screen lid will let both of those things out as fast as they can be generated. And most of the dial type gauges sold for reptile use are junk, the manufacturing tolerances are kept low to keep production costs down, which results in them usually being as much as 15% inaccurate, sometimes more. So one of the first things to do is get that screen covered. Almost anything will do, saran wrap, tinfoil, sheet plastic from the hardware store, I even used a section cut out of a plastic shower curtain from the dollar store once because I was being cheap and in a hurry. With the fixtures you have, your going to need to cover every square inch of the screen (you can just tape the material in place) and just cut holes big enough for the lights to fit. Next thing will be to get something else to monitor conditions in the cage, I would suggest one of the accurite digital units since they are relatively cheap and accurate enough for our needs. They can be had at Wal-Mart and other places for around $8-12 depending on the model. Another issue that could be causing stress I'd that you have very little cover for the ig to hide in, so covering the back and sides might also help it feel more secure. Might also be a good idea to stop any handling if you are, at least until you get a handle on things and the iguana settles down.

3. DrHeinz

DrHeinz New Member

Make sure that the humidity and temperature is high enough, my iguana did the same, she turned that color and I increased the humidity for a couple of days and kept feeding her and all of a sudden she was shedding like crazy, so it might just be getting ready to shed.