This Disappears When Logged In

My Baby Gecko is Regurgatating Its Food Help!!!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by smurphy, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

That is an old wives tale about them eating their way out of the stomach. Mealworms are a safe and balanced meal, as long as you gut load them first, it's the same story as the crickets, if you don't feed them first then they provide little nutrients.

2. smurphy

smurphy Member

Thanks for that. I hope she is okay, she is sooooo soooo lovely and friendly and we are just learning.
    :confused:

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

How do you gut load meal worms? Can you just put the cricket gel in the meal worm container? what about the sawdust sticking to it?

4. smurphy

smurphy Member

well she has this morning regurged both worms and I am soooo worried now, people are telling me she needs a lamp pet store said she doesn't. she is in a 30x30 viv and has a heat mat over one side with hide on and I have put therm on back wall towards top and reading is 25-30. is she warm enough or do I need a lamp......
    why is she not eating .....................

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok calm down! Put the thermometer back down where the gecko is! The temperatures at the top are irrelevant!
    Unless the gecko flies!;)
    Exactly what type of thermeter are you using?
    Is the heat mat on the side of the tank or the bottom.

That story about mealworms eating the lizard from inside has been circulating for years and has absolutely no basis in fact. It's a story, nothing more.

6. smurphy

smurphy Member

Hi,

Thermometer has been moved down to where Jasmine is and is reading as 75-80 F. It is a Komodo thermometer rec by our petstore.
    The heat mat is on one half of the bottom of the viv so she has a warm area and a cold area.
    I have just tried her on a mealworm and she struggled to get it down but she did and went for it as soon as I put in the viv. I tried a cricket but she doesn't even look at it, if I hold it in front of her she moves away.

7. smurphy

smurphy Member

this is the thermo I am using:confused:

This is our Viv....

Attached Files:

8. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I'm sorry she is sick! :( As for ignoring crickets, some lizards are like that. If she "grew up" on meal worms, chances are she will just eat meal worms, just as some lizards raised on crickets will not touch meal worms. As for the temps, they do need to be warmer. What brand of heat mat are you using? I use Zoo Med's Repti-therm heater and get pretty good temps. A clamp lamp and heat bulb are not very expensive, so I would definitely say get one if you can. And, take her to the vet. Don't make the mistake I did and wait too long to see if she will get better with TLC. I did that, and when I finally decided to bring him in, he died over the weekend before I had the chance! :(
    Good luck getting her better! :)

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

P.S. That is an awesomely designed cage it looks like. Where did you find it/what is the brand name?
    You should also try to get a digital thermometer if you can. They are more accurate and work better. Flukers makes one that has a hygrometer on it too to test humidity and temp at the same time. That's what I use (thanks to Kazooguy's help! :) ) and it works terrifically!

10. Merlin

Your temps really need to come up! 80 degrees is not warm enough!

And pitch that dial and get a digital thermometer. Those dials are often 5-10 degrees off. It doesn't sound like much but you are dealing with an animal that requires proper temperatures in the environment to keep its body at the right temperature to function properly. That includes disgesting food and fighting off illness.

Katt, those are exoterra terrariums.

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You can get a thermo hydro meter at walmart for about $6 that is digital for under 10 you can get one with a probe

12. smurphy

smurphy Member

Thanks guys, I have rasied temp up and so far no worm back up.......fingers crossed.

You think i need a lamp, pet store said not however temp is only going up now as i have made the room warmer where she is, when my central heating goes off tonight it will drop again.......

Viv is made by Exo Terra Terrarium - 30cm x 30cm x 30cm and is glass and was £31.99 UK

appt at vet tomoorw £29.00 before treatment.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, do whatever combination it takes to get the heat up. If the mat alone isn't doing it, add a 25 watt light bulb to the top on the same side. If 25 isn't enough, move up to 40.

14. smurphy

smurphy Member

So far so good tonight anyway.

15. Merlin

But for night time heat you want an infra red, not a light emitting bulb.

16. schlegelbagel

The heat pad alone actually makes good night time temps.

17. smurphy

smurphy Member

I really appreciate all the advice given on this site. Everyone has been brill!

I have just checked on her and temp is at 80 but my heating will be going off soon for nite and she has managed so far to not regurge the earlier meal worm.

should I keep on the light over her tonight or will the heat mat be sufficient do you think.
    it is a desk lamp with a 20 watt bulb.....

18. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I wouldn't keep the light on because it disturbs the natural night and day cycle. The Heating pad should be sufficient just check the temps and if it isn't reading hot enough you can always go buy a inferred light which is basically just a light that is dark in color so it puts off heat but not bright light.

Hope I have helped! I am sorry to hear that she is sick hopefully between getting the temps under control and the vet visit she will be back to 100% health!

19. schlegelbagel

Is the 80 degrees right under the light, or is that the ambient temperature? If its right under the light, its still not warm enough, and I would up the wattage to 40. Literally place the thermometer, right under the light on the floor. After all, that's where your leo sits.

20. smurphy

smurphy Member

80 degres is with the thermomenter on the heat mat where she sits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.