This Disappears When Logged In

My Baby Gecko is Regurgatating Its Food Help!!!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by smurphy, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smurphy

smurphy Member

Help, I have a baby gecko about 3 months old, she has been off her food for over a week now, I have removed the sand and replaced with paper towels, she is at the correct temperature and is still active. She ate a cricket after I removed the sand and she brought this back up, I tried mealworms which she ate 3 of but brought them back up last night. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You say correct temp, but what IS your temp, warm and cool sides? Please let us know. How do you heat the tank? What size is the tank? What kind of cage furniture do you have in there? What do you do to measure the temp and where are you taking the measurements from?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed. Telling us "it's right" doesn't tell us anything! What are the numbers?
    If all conditions are correct and the gecko is still repeatedly throwing its food back up you need to have a vet look at it.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Also important, what KIND of gecko are we talking about?
    When was her last bowel movement?

5. smurphy

smurphy Member

HI,

She is heated with a mat which covers half of the viv and she has a hide on both sides. Current temp is 78-80. We bought her for our son for his birthday at the end of feb. She was a few weeks old then and we had her just on paper, then the petstore suggested sand so we bought a bag from them a few weeks ago. After reading numerous posts I decided to remove the sand yesterday to see if she would eat. She did eat a cricket which she throw back up and then we tried her with mealworms of which she ate 3 but throw them up last night. She still looks healthy and is happy to be picked up and touched etc.

The viv is approx 30x30 she has a climbing wall and fresh water in a shallow dish and she has a moist box we made for her.
    My son is really worried. I will try to attach a pic of her taken today.

6. smurphy

smurphy Member

my avatar is a pic of her today as i do not know how to add pictures

7. Merlin

8. smurphy

smurphy Member

Thanks I will try this, I am worried that the sand may have done some damage. We have tried dangling a cricket in front of her and she was not interested. Should I try her with one more.

9. smurphy

smurphy Member

picture of when we first got her..........................

Attached Files:

10. smurphy

smurphy Member

Thanks for the tips on uploading pictures, and for your help!:p

11. Merlin

I would not expect the sand to cause a regurgitation. Bring the temps up and see what happens.

12. schlegelbagel

If she isn't digesting things properly, which is caused by temps which are too low, then that can cause her to regurgitate or have an appetite. Add a simple 40 watt light bulb to the tank, the regular kind, not the compact florescent kind. If the temp gets too warm, scale it down to a 25. This way she will have heat from below and above. Make the basking spot on the same side as the heat mat.

Hope this helps.

13. smurphy

smurphy Member

Hi,
    OKay, so we are in the process of bringing up the temp she I now at 85 and sleeping. When she wakes I will try a feed. Fingers crossed.........

14. Merlin

Let it go a day without feeding till you get the temps all ironed out.

15. smurphy

smurphy Member

She still has not eaten. One small poop which is white, not the usual black and white.
    Where is the best place to put the therm.

16. schlegelbagel

Best place to put what? And I would give her a few days of not eating, give her system a chance to digest.

Put your thermometer right under the light on the floor of the tank and read the temp. That should be around 90.

17. smurphy

smurphy Member

Jasmine is still pooing but only all white. Have been and got some wax and meal worms and have fed her just the one and will see if she manages to keep this one down before feeding her more but she will just not entertain crickets at all. She went for meal worms straight away.
    Any ideas.

18. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Nothing wrong with feeding her mealworms. Some people, and geckos, find them much easier to deal with than crickets.

19. smurphy

smurphy Member

I was worried as my pet store said that they are not a meal really.....

She does seem to like them and fingers crossed she will be okay and manage to keep it down this time, I think we fed her too many lat time (all three) and it had been too much for her after not eating for a period.

What do you think about her poop being white...... and I had heard that worms will eat her from inside.

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

if she isn't eating she won't have normal poops the white is more of a pee kind of think its called uraitous (sp) i think (I always forget that one) once she starts eating again she should start pooing again

Then you will want to bring a sample into the vets to check for parasites

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.