This Disappears When Logged In

My Attempts to Have the Healthiest Crickets

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by schlegelbagel, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I figure, what goes into the cricket goes into the frog. Right?

I keep hearing everyone and their iguana's diet, and how romaine just isn't as full of nutrition as other leaves. I had been giving them a handful of salad mix every few days. It was easy and kept well in the fridge. I also gave them scraps from making dinner, or apples, or carrots, or sweet potatoes, dry oatmeal and cat kibble.

So yesterday I got a bunch of collard greens. Cost me a whopping 95 cents. I threw it in the rubbermaid container and in 2 hours when i checked back it had a ton of holes in it from crickets munching.

My order came in half dead, so instead of shipping me 500 to replace the ones that bit it, they shipped me 1000 more. They are getting BIG. Too big for the RETF actually so I'll have to pick up some 1/2 inches. As this batch of crickets grow, they are eating me out of house and home!

ANYWAY.
    I'll keep you updated on how the collard greens go. I'm hoping they keep in the fridge as well as the pre-packaged stuff does. The grocery store had pre-chopped up mustards in those bags, but I wasn't going to pay $4 for it.

I might even try eating some myself. Collards that is, not the crickets ;)

2. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Aw come on, Liz! Crickets are an excellent source of protein!

Collards hold up about the same as any other produce, in my experience. A little better than some, actually. Just make sure to keep it the way you would other veggies. In a baggie - or whatever the best method is for you. Pre-cutting (I mean chopping it all to bits at one time and then keeping it in the fridge) shortens the time you can keep it, but can be more convenient. It just depends on how much you buy and how frequently you use it.

3. schlegelbagel

I got one head and its in a plastic bag from the grocery store, with a paper towel in it. I find this usually works the best.

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

collards,,, BLACCCHHHH,, those things are just disgusting! There is not enough salad dressing in the world to cover there horrible taste! I am even one who loves veggies,, I eat brussel sprouts, spinach, the whole nine yards. But those nasty collard greens, NO WAY, lol. I would bet my husbands work boots would probably taste better :D

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hmmm Must be a matter of taste! I routinely put collards, along with the mustard and turnip greens in my own salad.
    Of course you do have slice them up really thin since they are pretty tough raw.

6. schlegelbagel

i have a friend who regularly chops them up and sprinkles them over her frozen macaroni and cheese meal for lunch, then they get soft in the microwave when she heats the meal up. I might try that. Might make them tolerable. However not tonight. Tonight is either left over chili or chicken stir fry!

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Also, they're a lot like spinach. You can cook them down with butter and spices, and they taste very good.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

We southerners eat collards alot. Of course we boil them to death with hamhocks or any other smoked meat. Cooking them that way makes them quite tasty. I hate them raw.

9. schlegelbagel

my coworker is from south carolina and she does the SAME thing to greens. She has them at least 3 times a week and she always says "you have to add bacon"

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

It never even occurred to me to try them raw! I'll have to do that just to see what they're like. :) I do loved them cooked though.

When I was growing up, I hated all green leafy veggies with the exception of spinach, but by the time I was a teenager, I loved them! I've been making up for lost time ever since. :rolleyes:

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Now Liz. The healthiest crickets would probably have to be free range. Just setup a field(probably an acre will do) Ensure no pesticides are being used nearby. Probably should screen it in to so the crickets don't interbreed with the wild populations. This way they have access to a multitude of different flora.
    Also as an added benefit is the exercise you'll get catching them.;)

12. smallgrayfox

That sounds like a great workout :D

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not to mention providing quality entertainment for your neighbors!

14. schlegelbagel

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

on a side note, I ate some greens last night. I chopped up half a leaf pretty fine and mixed it in my leftover chili and heated it all together in the microwave. I didn't even know it was in there when I ate it.

Maybe tonight i'll chop it up, add some butter and parmesian and steam. See how that goes.

15. kriminaal

I think we have a food forum around here somewhere. You'll have to post your new recipes. We need a chef around here again with Cody off for a bit.:D

16. schlegelbagel

I want to make this CLEAR. I'm not a chef. My cooking usually stinks. It comprises of rice or pasta, steamed veggies and some sort of stir fry or somthing else just mottled together. Chef I am not.

17. kriminaal

Mmmmm. Mottled Rice Salad. That sounds yummy. You're making me hungry.

18. smallgrayfox

I keep a bag of chopped collards in the freezer and frequently add them to stews and soups. As with your chili (I'll have to try that!), you can't really taste it too much (although I think it adds some good flavor). So even my son (who won't eat greens) can't complain. That's the only way I can get him to eat them, and it works like a charm every time. :)

19. schlegelbagel

sure I am. :rolleyes:

20. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You guys EAT that stuff?!
    You would be hard pressed to find anyone who eats them around here and we're a bunch of granola munching tree hugging dirt worshiping hippies.
    :)
    I'll eat fresh mustard, but collards and kale are too tough and I don't like cooked greens.

The unleashed forums has a food section: Recipes - Food - Reptile Forums - The HC Network
    I add stuff to it on occasion, i've got a recipe for peanut butter filled chocolate cookies that I need to make and if they are good i'll definitely post it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.