This Disappears When Logged In

My African Fat Tail Gecko

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by airforce1, Nov 3, 2009.

1. airforce1

airforce1 New Member

Hi, I got my African fat tail gecko about 3 or 4 months ago, it was eating fine and I didn't change any of its lights or anything and it stopped eating about 1-2 weeks ago. I tried feeding it baby food, witch is what my brother suggested, he is a big herpetologist. please help, I am afraid for my gecko.

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

If you want help you are really going to have to give us some more information.
    How old is it? What is it eating? What size is it's cage? What are the basking and cool side temps? What is the substrate?

3. airforce1

airforce1 New Member

It is about 6 months old, I have been feeding it crickets and dusting them about once a week, untill it stopped eating, I have her in a 10 gallon cage, its basking temps are 87-89 and the cool side is about 78-79 in the day.
    the substrate is coconut fiber.

4. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Get him off the coconut fiber. Any particle substrate like that (or sand or moss) can be ingested by the gecko and they can end up impacted. Put the little guy on newspaper, paper towel, or reptile carpet. This will also allow you to keep an eye on his droppings and get a stool sample for a vet to do a fecal on. I would recommend this to check for parasites.

5. airforce1

airforce1 New Member

first of all, coconut fiber cannot impact geckos, a regular vet cannot do a gecko fecal sample because they do not know what to look for. I would need to take it to an exotic vet and pay a lot of money to have them do a fecal on it and spend all that money on a 35 dollar gecko. so I am done with this forum because obviously you guys know nothing about geckos.

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I don't know if you will be back to read this or not, but for the record, every particle substrate has the risk of impaction. Some are "safer" than others but its always there. And especially if you have a gecko that is not eating, it is best to remove that as a factor. Non-particle substrates also lets you monitor the droppings better to see if those look normal or not.

And regardless of what you paid for the gecko, that is still a life that you committed to take care of when you purchased it. If it is sick, it needs attention whether you feel it deserves it or not. Taking sound advice or at least asking more questions about that advice is at least a start.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My wife is a vet tech. They look for the same stuff in every fecal they do. They look for adults, larvae and eggs of parasites.

As stated by Orca, ALL particulate substrate carry an impaction risk. Coincidentally one of the signs of an impaction happens to be the gecko no longer feeding. I am not saying that is what has happened to yours, but since you don't know either perhaps you should think about that.

Anytime an animal is presenting with some sort of issue it is best to remove them from their normal enclosure and use a quarantine setup. A quarantine setup allows you to monitor their feces and to monitor their food intake clearly.

Where did your brother go to school? I noticed you said he was a "big herpetologist".

Here is some reading:

African Fat-tailed Gecko (Hemitheconyx caudicinctus) Caresheet
    Leopard Gecko Quarantine

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I will add this, a fat tailed gecko needs the cocofiber substrate. They do alot better in a bit higher humidity than leos. In the latest Reptiles, it has a 3 page article on AFT, they require humidity. JMG reptiles are the ones that wrote the article. ALot of good info in it.

9. petsareusrescue

petsareusrescue Elite Member

My recommendation is to remove everything from the cage that can cause problems, first is coconut substrate. It causes a lot of problems. Get a fecal sample and bring the gecko to the vet!
    We always kept our fat tailed geckos on dirt and moss. They are nocturnal, and eat better at night. They also require humidity. We use nothing but natural substrates so the animals are on the proper bedding.
    Bring the geck to the vet!

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I agree and disagree. They DO need humidity, but humidity can be kept up by misting the tank on occasion, so you do not need to use coco fiber.

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Ok instead of cocofiber use peat moss and vermiculite. Easier to keep the humidity for them than paper.