This Disappears When Logged In

My 2nd Crested Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by JoeMasturbaby, Nov 29, 2010.

1. JoeMasturbaby

JoeMasturbaby Well-Known Member

hi im Joe and im new to the forums.

i thought id join because i just got another crested gecko today and figured being in a place like this would help me, and perhaps enable me to help others with reptiles.

so here's my question:

I just got a new crested gecko today, I noticed it didnt have any signs of male genitals so i placed it into my 40g tank with my first crested gecko who is a male. Now the male gecko (Jimmy) is starting to attack the new gecko which i assume is female, and i was wondering if this is normal behavior for a male/female crested gecko pair especially since they just got introduced.

i know the male/male pairs never work out due to attacking and im getting worried that the new one may turn out to be male despite showing no signs of the male genitals. Its a gecko about 4in long (head-tail) and i figured it would have developed the parts by now if it was male.

any help is most appreciated.

2. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Not to familiar with the crested geckos but I do know that two males will fight.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Jimmy isn't very happy with his new roommate, from reading previous threads on crested geckos, your female may just end up dropping a couple and surprise you. Maybe Jimmy knows the truth!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If one is attacking the other you need to seperate.

5. JoeMasturbaby

i was wishing i wouldnt have to because i got a 40g custom made tank and just a simple 10g set up. I didnt want one to have more room than the other cause it feels like im choosing a favorite.

:(

6. mld

I believe that there is a way that you could separate the 40 gal tank into 2 by placing a separation in the middle giving them both 20 gal. I think our member Frognut had his very same issue. I'm sure she'll be by.

7. JoeMasturbaby

@mld:

its a 40g custom made tank standing vertical, i created the background in such a way that would make doing that impossible.

idk i may have to return the gecko until i can find a decent female one.

8. mld

I think Jimmy would like that! :x

9. JoeMasturbaby

*sadness*

10. mld

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the site!!!

To your question:
    Putting a male & female together is going to produce constant breeding, exhausting the female. Even if you are planning to breed, you shouldn't keep both a male and female together all the time.

Two males, will never work. And yes, I bought what I thought were two females - hoping to house them together. Then right after I bought a nice big tank and redecorated it, Jeebie dropped a 'pair'. :eek:

I ended up splitting my newly designed tank in half. I have the foam background, and I cut a 1/4" grove down the middle - split the plants and decorations and cut a 1/4" piece of plywood and fit it in the middle.

I would have preferred it the other way -- but even if they did turn out to be both females, there is never a guarantee that they would have gotten along and I may have had to do it anyway. It was that or go out and drop more money on another tank.

If they are fighting you need to separate immediately.

12. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Ugh! I also forgot --- you really need to quarantine the new gecko before you even try to put them together. The 10 gal is perfect for that!

You don't know what the new gecko could have that she/he could pass to your current gecko.

Set up the 10 gal with paper towels, water dish and a few hides -- and the proper lighting/heat. The new one should stay separated until she/he has eaten and pooped a few times to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

Good Luck!

13. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Here is the deal with Crested Geckos...even a male and female could fight. It is even harder to find a pair that will not fight, (heard it can be done, but much more rare.) Breeders even keep the mating pairs separated but only for breeding. So you could be searching for a pair that might not ever get along.

Good luck...I would not keep them together or one of them will be seriously wounded!

Welcome to the forum!

14. JoeMasturbaby

@mld: i dont have a car so i may just have to wait until one develops at where i work (petco).

@frog: i just put them right into the 40g because i didnt have the 10g set up yet, but i'll do that tonight. And is it normal behavior to have the male jump at the female when introduced? because thats what happened a few times and im not sure if thats considered "fighting". Jimmy hasnt been jumping at the new gecko since they were put into the 40g.

and if it turns out to be male i just cant keep it in a 10g, sadly i feel like im going to have to return the gecko despite how much i want it.

also i know its doing ok because i bought it from the store i work at and ive cleaned its tank out and been checking up on it.

15. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You shouldn't have brought the gecko home if you didn't have adequate housing for it. (Meaning separation.) That gecko should be in quarantine anyways. It should never have been introduced to the other at all yet!

Even professional breeders separate their geckos. The male will stress the female out with his constant advances.

I was disappointed to read that you were a Petco employee. You didn't even bother to quarantine your own animal which tends to make me believe you are likely not suggesting new owners do the same with their animals.

16. Medium

Medium Elite Member

No offense, but I seen petco and how they keep reptiles...not impressed at all!

17. JoeMasturbaby

haha, yea petco isnt the greatest, but we kept our cresteds in our back room where nobody can interact with them, and i was never aware you had to quarantine the geckos from each other because nobody has ever bought more than one, and my coworkers only have one per tank of different species, all other knowledge beyond basic training is purely up to the employee. That being said i dont know all that much about reptile care but i am learning from a coworker who actually takes care of all the reptiles there and has several of his own.

but anywho its not like its my dream job, its just until i graduate college(Dec 18!) and get a better job.

also ive set up the new gecko in a 10g tank and it seems to love exploring. within seconds it was eating/drinking/jumping around. OH! my gf and i named it Pineapple.

18. Merlin

You misunderstand. You quarantine new animals before they are introduced to existing ones. That way you don't bring disease or parasites into an existing animal enclosure.

19. JoeMasturbaby

i'll have to remember that.

i know for fact our store doesnt do that though.

20. Merlin

Chain stores usually don't. They look on animals as "product" without concern for what happens to them.