This Disappears When Logged In

My 18 Month Old Bearded Dragon Has a Serious Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Jon2683, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are a lot of vets that will see a reptile and a lot of them are behind the times on what they know.
    While there may be some fluid absorbed thru the vent, it will be minute and not enough to hydrate a dehydrated animal. Its basically a matter of common sense.
    If fluids go thru one way they will go back out the same way. For an arid country animal this would mean that all their body moisture would be exiting the vent!
    Equaling a bunch of dead dried up animals!

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I personally use the ExoTerra SolarGlo Mercury Vapor Bulb (125W), and find it works great. It's a combination heat/UV bulb and it comes highly recommended by quite a few breeders up here.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I recommend using low wattage halogen bulbs for the basking area (flood, not spot) @ between 40 to 60w, place two in a row quite close together, then either raise /lower them or the basking platform.
    I buy mine on eBay, very cheap (around £2 each) and they can last for 6 months, if you`re interested I`ll put the item number up where I got mine (I live quite close to you).
    Here`s my Water monitor`s basking area to show the bulbs in position, I need to use more because of his size (it`s best if they heat the whole body), that`s why I recommend you use two.
    7916503036_259e70c930_z.jpg
    100_1214 by murrindindi, on Flickr

Attached Files:

4. Jon2683

Jon2683 Member

I'm already using a 100 watt one, would that not raise his basking temp too much?

5. cassicat4

It will really depend on your setup. It works well for mine and keeps his basking spot in the 100-110F range without significantly raising the temp in the rest of his tank, but what I do may not work for yours. However, I also have his light attached to a clamp vs. resting the light on the top of his tank, so I can adjust the range of the light as needed.

6. Jon2683

Jon2683 Member

That looks like a brilliant vivarium;) Yeah could you put up the item number, I'll give them ago. Do bearded dragons hibernat, it would explain why he has stopped eating? Or would you think it's because I've bought a new viv??

Attached Files:

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you get two 40 to 50w halogens it will be much the same as the 100w you`re using now, the difference will be that placing two close together means they heat a larger area (in your case, the whole body and most of the tail), and because each bulb is a lower wattage you can move them/the basking object closer together to adjust the surface temp.
    I would recommend using the ES fitting (Edison screw). Go on eBay, type into the search box " (40 or 50w) halogen flood bulbs", see what comes up, as I say, I recently bought some @ £2 each (mine are 75w), so look around for the best price.
    Some places charge around £5 or £6 for exactly the same brand and wattage, but that`s still a good price considering how long they can last (mine are up to 3,000 hours).

8. Jon2683

Jon2683 Member

Yeah unfortunately I have one of those tanks that you can rest the light on top so I haven't got much room for adjustment. What I could do however is take out the shelf he basks on and replace it with a climbing log so he has different levels under the light.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, you beat me to it, and thanks, I like my enclosure too!
    I think the listing`s closed now, but here`s the item number: 230837232102

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is there a solid lid to the tank, because if yes, it`s easy enough to drill a couple of small holes to pass the electric flex through, then have the ceramic fixtures/bulbs inside.

11. Jon2683

Jon2683 Member

Thanks for your help, I'm gonna get some today:D
    Yeah my viva has a solid lid but I can definitely drill a couple of holes and do what you've said, think that's going to be the best solution to get the temps right.

Just a quick update,

I've just got back from the vet after his check up, they confirmed the blood results taken last Friday came back ok, other than dehydration. They also said he has no parasites in his feces, which is good to know. They think the reason for him not eating Is because he is going into a dormant state which might have been triggerd when I changed his viv (I'm almost certain he did this last year) He has shown all the signs that this might be happening, hiding under the news paper, not interested in food, resting more than usual etc... I have to turn off his basking light for a couple of weeks and continue with his baths and syringing water. They said it is safe to do this because his weight is back to almost normal and all the tests they've done are ok. I just need to keep monitoring him and turn his basking light back on in a couple of weeks, MAX! Have you heard of this happing before, is it normal? Just so you know they did say it doesn't happen to every bearded dragon.

As for his eye, were leaving it until he comes out of this dormant state...

Thanks to everyone that has helped me and and given me ideas on what to do, I've definitely got a better understanding now:D
    I'll keep you updated, still need to get his eye sorted!!!

12. cassicat4

It's called Brumation, and it happens to my beardie too, unfortunately. :p And yes, if it does happen, it's normal, but not every beardie goes through this. And the length of time varies for each one as well. Last year, for example, mine was out of it from Nov-March, whereas one of my co-worker's beardies was only down for the month of November. This year, mine appears to be slowing down quite a bit already, so he'll likely go into it sooner. While they're in this state, they do not require food, and a healthy beardie will not lose more than a few grams of weight. However, yes, you do need to keep them hydrated as your vet suggested. And the fact that you've had him fully tested to be sure he's healthy is great! An undetected ailment or parasite is very difficult to diagnose and treat if the animal is in full out Brumation, so I've heard many people and vets recommend an annual exam for beardies prior to Brumation for this very reason.

What's interesting is that one herp vet I've seen said you can actually prevent Brumation from occurring, but I'm not sure how accurate that statement was. Can anyone confirm? The reason being, I followed all of the advice she had given me - keeping his lights on for 14-16 hours instead, raising the ambient heat slightly, putting blankets/insulation around the outside of his tank to prevent it from getting cool - and he still went down hard. So that makes me think that their instincts will override whatever counter measures we employ to prevent it.

13. cassicat4

That's good to know, I hope he isn't in for long though! I asked my vet the same about preventing it but she said it's a natural thing for them to do and she wouldn't advise trying to stop it, I guess it's because she's not actually sure.

I am a little worried about one other thing though, I noticed after getting back from work today my bearded dragon had blood in his feces. Could this be because he is straining to hard?

Is there a chance your beardie is impacted or constipated? Because yes, straining too hard can cause blood in the feces, as can a number of other ailments (although your vet has ruled many of them out). If your beardie is, it can also explain the lack of eating. I had to treat a rescue beardie who was severely impacted from too many superworms (he didn't chew very well) and he became very lethargic and wouldn't eat, but it was also during winter so the first assumption was that it was brumation-related. When he started drooling, I rushed him to the vet, who had to flush him out.

Would the vet be able to feel if he is impacted? I only ask because she examined his stomach this morning when he had his check up and didn't say anything.

14. cassicat4

Not necessarily. In some cases you can, depending on what they've eaten, but you couldn't with mine. It was only after a discussion of his behavior that the conclusion was impaction.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, if you`ve turned off the basking light (nowhere to thermoregulate), the lizard wouldn`t be able to digest food anyway. Are you sure it was blood you saw in the faeces, if yes, how much?
    Also, you say you think he may have started to brumate because you changed the enclosure, in what way did you do that?

16. Jon2683

Jon2683 Member

Oh ok, I'll check with the vet again and see what they say.

Hi, I'm guessing so because it was a liquid red colour.....about a 3rd of his faeces I'd say but he's not producing a lot of faeces when he goes at the moment anyway, so it's probably not a lot of blood in comparison. I've just never seen it before - I am giving him more fluids than ever before so could that be a reason?

I bought a new enclosure, his last one was a glass one that was hard to control. I could never get the temps right and from the feedback I've been getting I think that's what might have caused his eye to get into the state it's in now or atleast prevent him from healing. Am I right in saying if the environment is wrong a bearded dragon won't be able to heal its self properly?

17. Jon2683

Jon2683 Member

Another update,

My bearded dragon has had 2 seizures today, he roles over onto one side a shakes. I was told by the vet to syringe water into him because he is dehydrated, do you think I have made him drink too much? I am worried I have given him too much water and have damaged something internally

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your dragon having seizures! I would call the vet, there are so many things that can cause this, low calcium levels, lack of adequate UVB, liver problems, falls, endocrine system, toxic substances… Having blood tests and x-rays will help determine what the problem is.
    I noticed you mentioned blood in the stool, have you fed him anything different, cleaning products used around his enclosure, anything that you can think of.
    When giving water you have to be very careful that it goes down the right way and not down the wind pipe.

19. Jon2683

Jon2683 Member

He's had a blood test last week which came back ok, other than indications of dehydration. He keep lifting his head and all the way up in the air then back down.....a bit like stretching. The only change today is some medication the vet gave me, it's called avipro plus....similar to those good bacteria shakes humans have but these are for pets. The other medication i have given him today is some anti inflammatoris.....the vet thinks hebis bleeding because of an inflamed gut. He hasn't eaten for ages, I think he want to go into brumation....but he's not well. I can't find a vet who looks at reptiles, their all closed atm.

One thing to mention, he had the first fit just after I gave him some water this evening.

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What temperature was the water? Did the vet mention electrolytes, like pedialyte (unflavored) this would help with dehydration. Also an unhealthy dragon shouldn't be going into brumation.

edit; I just read about avipro plus, so that does contain electrolytes plus bacteria for gut flora and vitamins. Does it come in a powder form, or do you mix with water.