This Disappears When Logged In

Mushu Is...a Girl?!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by huskergirl, Dec 6, 2015.

1. huskergirl

huskergirl Well-Known Member

Mushu is a 4 1/2 year old lovely dragon that I thought was a slowly developing male (the vet did too). Imagine my surprise to find an egg in her cage today! I'm quite relieved, as I thought "he" was ill since "he" wasn't eating very much at all. Now I have many more questions. I will set up an egg-laying area in her enclosure now, but I'd really appreciate some tips from others with females. How often are females gravid? How soon should I try to feed her, and how long does it typically take for her appetite to come back? She was eating up to 80 mealworms in one sitting, and lately it's been less than 10! I just want to make sure I take good care of her!

2. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

This happened with me and my two beardies! My male named Spike ended up being a female, and my female Fluffy is a male. As for the actual question you're asking I can't really answer it, I'm sorry.. I would wait a day or two and try to feed her. I wouldn't be concerned if she doesn't eat unless its been like a week or two.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

She doesn't have much room for food until her eggs drop. I would focus on getting her set up with a nest box and worry about her lack of appetite once she passes all of the eggs.

4. huskergirl

huskergirl Well-Known Member

How many eggs should I expect? This is the first time she has laid, and she doesn't appear to be using the nest box. It's damp, well-packed topsoil about 7 inches deep (the deepest I could find on short notice). Does this happen often?