This Disappears When Logged In

Murky Water in Turtle Tank

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by JeremyYbarra, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JeremyYbarra

JeremyYbarra Member

so recently i noticed my water was a little murkier than usual. I just moved my turtles into a bigger tank, so i figured i needed a better filter, currently in my 20 gal long aquarium i have a decrotive reptofilter(the waterfall one) AND a all living things submersible turtle filter. The latter of the two came in an all living things turtle starter kit. I just changed out the filter bags on the waterfall and i cleaned and scrubbed the the spongy inserts of the smaller turtle filter as well as got all the dirt out of the small carbon bag inside; however my water is still dirty. Since this tank isn't too large, i figured just one if not both of the filters would do a better job than they have been doing. I've done two complete water changes in the past 5 days. Since i just changed the filter bags,and cleaned the other filter should i just do another complete water change? i hate looking at dirty water, and im sure my turtles aren't too thrilled to be living with it haha If anyone has or knows about either of these filters, some insight as to why im having this constant problem would be much appreciated. Btw i bought two small plecos to help with the cleaning as well.

2. JeremyYbarra

JeremyYbarra Member

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Typically soiled water comes from uneaten food breaking down in the tank. If there is significant leftovers in the water after feeding time cut back on how much your offering. Keep in mind too that the more filtration you have, the less often you'll have to change your water. To give you an idea: my old turtle tank had about 10 gallons of water in it, and I had a filter rated up to 50 gallons. My current tank has about 35 gallons of water, and has filtration for 150 gallons. Between all that filtration and being careful not to over feed, I still have to change the water about every 3 weeks

4. JeremyYbarra

JeremyYbarra Member

i've determind that the discoloration may just be because of the mopani wood i have in there. It looks nice, but not as nice as clear water so i'll be removing that and putting in some different plants

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The wood will leach tannins for a while, but after a couple weeks, they should be gone. It's harmless, but it can be irritating if you prefer crystal clarity. Try soaking it in a bucket for a while, and change the water every day or two, and when the color stops changing, you'll know it's good.

6. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

plecos aren't great to have with turtles. the poop in stingy messes that foul up filters faster, trutles try to eat it. and if they get hungry or curious enough to try and snack on the plecos... their bones are very sharp and spiny and can be very dangerous for your turtles. Chinese algae eaters are better.. Oh and Plecos will outgrow the tanks faster too.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The minimum size tank for a pleco is a 55gal and that's for just the pleco with a turtle they should be in a 90gal.

I don't see any issues with plecos and turtles. I have always kept them together and the turtles haven't ever bothered the plecos even when they were taking chunks out of the larger fish they never touched the plecos.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The only issue I have ever had housing turtles and plecos together is that my Map turtle is a very easily confused individual, and lavished his amorous affections on the plecos as if they were willing female turtles.

Other than that, the plecos were left alone. they do have thick spiny/bony armor that protects them from most things. They are not good cleaners however - for that job, Chinese Algae eaters are much much more efficient - as long as your turtle doesn't eat them.