This Disappears When Logged In

Moving With Reptiles

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by JagBagAndy, Apr 7, 2018.

1. JagBagAndy

JagBagAndy New Member

Hello all. This summer I'm moving from Indiana to Arizona. I have a Bearded Dragon and a Red-footed tortoise that I need to move. It'll be a 3 day drive from here to there. What is the best way to make this move cross country with them?

2. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

Monitor temperature, never leave them in the car, offer water regularly. Probably not feed since basking and digestion will be interrupted. Maybe there's a right way to do it, but I think I would use carriers they can move back and forth in the whole way and keep my car mid-tropical temperatures with a battery thermometer. Heat pads on half the carrier at night with them towel covered. Maybe someone would box up the tortoise and bag the lizard like they do for shipping. Sending them seperate through overnight mail with a heat pack is an idea if there were someone/somewhere to receive them in arizona.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok. First, feed normally until a week before leaving. This will allow the animals to digest and empty themselves prior to the trip. Do not feed until you get them back into their regular housing. Water can be offered when you stop at night but do not leave it in the enclosures during transport.

House them in small enclosures and put those in a cheap Styrofoam ice chest with a small air hole in it. This will avoid rapid changes in temperature and the darkness will keep them from stressing them out. If the temps will be above 60 degrees, auxiliary heating is not needed. If it is going to be colder, which i would not expect you can put a plastic 2 liter bottle of warm water in the chest with them.

4. JagBagAndy

JagBagAndy New Member

Thanks for the replies.