This Disappears When Logged In

Moving with Reptiles from FL to KY

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by thead11, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

OK, I am not exactly sure if this is where this post is supposed to be.
    I am moving from Florida to Kentucky in about a week. I am very concerned about transporting my animals.
    I have two Colombian boas, one Suriname boa, one Hog island/Colombian boa, one corn snake, and three turtles.
    I know that you can put the snakes in pillow cases, but I do not know specifics on what all they need while traveling.
    Three of my snakes are all under about 2 1/2 feet.
    One of them is about 6 feet, and the other about 4.
    The largest of my turtles is about 5 to 6 inches.
    The drive is about 13 hours, but we will be stopping at a hotel during the night.
    I also need to know what I should do with them at the hotel, if I should set up their tanks and lights, or just keep them in their traveling containers.
    Any tips, suggestions, opinions, or info is welcome.
    Thanks!:)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would just bag the snakes and leave them in the bags for the duration. If you put them in the tub for a soak prior to bagging there is a good chance that they will pass any wastes so that you don't have to worry about them soiling the bags. I would also use those disposable styrofoam ice chests to eliminate rapid temperature fluctuations. This time of year you should not have any warmth problems and the ice chests will allow you to run the car AC so YOU don't have to suffer and your snakes will still be warm.
    I'm not that up on the turtles but were it me I would use a sterilite box to keep them damp as their claws could be rough on the styrofoam!

3. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I'd do as Merlin suggested. Bag the snakes and leave them in there for the ice chest for the duration of the trip. Take some extra bags with you. You never know even if you do soak them before, something could always happen. Just remember you will have some testy snakes afterwards lol.

The turtles, tote them. As small as they are you can get the totes for cheap. Just don't forget to add holes.

Make sure that the bags are tied tight. Would hate for any one to get out while at the hotel or in the car.

4. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Ok, thanks a lot guys! So is it alright for me to keep the turtles in water the whole time? How much water should I use? Should I put something in their so that they can get out of the water if they want?

5. Merlin

For no longer than you are traveling I wouldn't put any water in the totes. You don't want a lot of water in there for the turtle to be sloshing around and possibly injure itself.

6. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Thank you Merlin! You both have helped me a lot. I was really worried about getting them safely. But now I know how to "pack them up" lol.
    Thanks again!!!:)

7. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

OK, so all of the snakes are due to eat today, but should I feed them?
    We aren't leaving until Saturday.

8. Merlin

No I would wait till a week after the move.
    Feeding now may result in a big stinky mess enroute to your new home!

9. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Ok thanks. Would it be worth it to try to move the remaining frozen food we have, or should we dispose of it?
    If we move it, is ice the best way, or will it thaw out?

10. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

13 hours hmmm. I don't think dry ice will last that long. Could dry ice em till the hotel and then find a place where you stay that has some.

11. Merlin

It depends on how many you have as to whether its worth it.
    A chunk of dry ice will last along time in a cooler. Its how they ship frozen rodents all over the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.