This Disappears When Logged In

Moving Up To Fuzzies?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by KhantiMetta, Jul 3, 2015.

1. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

My baby kingsnake, Meridia, is growing fast and pinkies are too tiny for her. Even when I feed her 2 at a time the lump is hardly noticeable anymore. I've been feeding her 2 at a time for a long time now and then went to buy fuzzies today, but they seem too big. The only place where I can buy mice is petsmart, and the next reptile show won't come to my area until October, so my choices are very limited. So I'd like your opinions as to whether she will be able to will be able to eat these or if I should just go buy some more pinkies.
    Merid.jpg
    Thank you guys for your help!

2. Macaw Mike

Macaw Mike Member

I'd take it the safe route and stick to the pinkies until she gets a tad bit bigger. :)

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

My carpet python wouldn't eat fuzzies when he/she came home, finally offered a live hopper and that was accepted. Kingsnakes don't eat like pythons, but I would think that size fuzzy should be passable. If it's too large the snake won't eat it. The 2 baby kingsnakes I have now are this year's hatchlings, probably a little smaller than yours, and they're taking 2 pinkies every 4-5 days. Even larger pinkies (just starting to show light fuzz) don't leave a visible lump or bulge after they're swallowed. They'd probably take fuzzies now, but I prefer to feed several pinkies to slow down the population growth among the mice a little more. Even the Everglades rat snake gets fed several hoppers instead of weanlings for the same reason.

4. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

I think I would wait for another shed or two with her. She seems borderline. That being said, if she did get it down, I think she'd be able to pass it as toddnbecka said. But I'd personally wait.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That snake can easily take the feeder in the photo. You go for a feeder about as big around or a little larger than the snake's body at its widest point.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'd be fine with the shown size. Most of the mass of that fuzzy is soft tissue and will not cause issues.

I've always fed fresh kills and they are "tougher" than a F/T because the ice formation starts the breaking down of cells already (another reason I don't like F/T but that is a "ME" issue and nothing else).

7. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

Thank you guys! I went ahead and bought 6 pinkies to give her. Once she eats those I will try the fuzzies :)

8. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I order my feeders online to save the trouble of pet stores and waiting for shows--I get mine from Rodent Pro. If you have freezer space, I'd go with ordering bulk (although I guess it would be good to wait for bulk when your snake is fully grown and will be eating one mouse size for a while).

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

LOL oh my experiments with F/T, Work never did get used to the odd box in the lunch room freezer :p They where so happy when I started raising my own :p