This Disappears When Logged In

Morphs

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Seandeezy, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Are the different morphs of lizards due to the temperatures used in the incubation process? For example: to develop albino geckos.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No. Wether it is an albino, snow, etc... the eggs need the same temps and humidity. Different species may need different temps and humidity but morphs of the same species are incubated the same.(and if I have anything wrong someone will correct me;))

3. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

So then how do you come across breeding albinos and what not? Are you just....lucky or can it be planned out?

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I believe it's a little of both ;)

5. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Depends on parents

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's an exercise in genetic manipulation and controlled breeding. The first ones are a mutation, different in appearance than the parents. The breeders work with that group and attempt to "fix" the genes involved so that they can be tranmitted to the offspring.

Temperature variances can cause a difference in appearance in some species, striped baby burmese pythons for instance. But the trait is a one off and not transferable so it is not considered a morph.

7. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

So let's say I wanted to have albino African Fat-tailed geckos. In order to have albino's, it would have to be a freak accident, a non-planned hatch. And then I could have a chance at breeding albino's with that parent?

8. Merlin

The chances of a random albino showing up in a normal paring are astronomical, but it does happen.
    If you really want to breed for a given trait you are better off either aquiring a pair that is that morph or a pair that are Het(containing the genes) for producing the desired result.
    It gets pretty complicated.

9. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Back to the old drawing board! Maybe I'll invest in an albino African Fat-tailed gecko. :) How much do you think the Het albinos go for?

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

It is all genetics.

11. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

How much do albino African Fat-tailed geckos sell for? A female most likely.

12. Merlin

Its really going to vary according to who you buy from and whether you go breeder or pet shop. But you are probably looking in the neighborhood of 200 dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.