This Disappears When Logged In

More New Snakes!

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Dragoness, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This monthly herp show is getting to be dangerous!

Two more snakes followed me home (one of which was an early birthday gift from hubs)

Looking forward to getting them through quarantine.

A Red-Tailed Green Rat Snake - Gonyosoma oxycephalum (nothing like North American rat snakes, really) Gorgeous animal, it was love at first sight.
    Red Tailed Green Rat Snake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And a Malagasy Tree Snake - Stenophis betsileanus - also beautiful, and all eyeball. Hubs caught me drooling, and surprised me with an early birthday gift.
    Malagasy Tree Snake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I can find astonishingly little information about the Malagasy Tree Snake, so much of it's care will be based on it's native habitats (forests of Madagascar), and tweaking it accordingly.

Once they are both through quarantine, I will be setting them up in appropriate habitats. For the green rat snake, it will be a humid, arboreal enclosure. For the Tree Snake, it will be a game of trial and error to see what kind of layout it will utilize best (upright vs horizontal, though I suspect the former), and once I have some parameters to work with, I will build or purchase something suitable.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Awesome new additions, gratz. I think the Malagasy tree snake is a lzard eater like the Asian vine snakes. Definitely an arboreal setup. Aren't they rear-fanged too?
    We brought home a few new critters too, but nothing like those. I found a fire bullsnake and a tangerine Hondo I liked, then Becka spotted a Dumeril's and had to have her too.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

That RTG rat snake is a real stunner in person, as vibrantly green as my green tree pythons. The Malagasy was cute with it's little alien eyeballs. Can't wait to see them set up.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The guy selling the malagasy tree said it was eating small mice with no problems, though if I have to order feeder anoles, I have to order feeder anoles. I just hope I can CO2 them, and freeze them, and the snake will still take them. But if I have to start ordering feeder lizards, I may get into some of the more interesting lizard eaters. Passed up a Burton's Legless lizard for just that reason... lol.

I can find very little information on any of the snakes in the genus stenophis, other than s single paper I am going to read through today.

(http://www.mvences.de/p/p2/Vences_B93.pdf) It has some information on many of the species (S. citrinus is quite cute)

I can't even find a resource stating whether or not they are rear fanged, or no fanged (though I suppose I could just take a peek)

Since we need to make a more permanent setup for the mangrove anyways, I'm of half a mind to set all three up side by side, and get one of those very nice misting systems form pro exotics, and run it in all 3 of those enclosures, plus my BRB and JCP enclosures as well, since they make a system that can link to more than one enclosure.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The little Malagasy tree snake has turned his nose up at mice, and even live anoles.

Bought a pinky pump prepared for the worst, but this morning, when I popped it's mouth open, and nosed in a pinky, he just started swallowing. Hopefully, he will eat on his own before long.

Darkbird likes this.
  6. toddnbecka

Maybe try scenting pinkies with leos? Someone on facebook was saying that his file snake won't touch anoles, but will eat leopard geckos. Assist feeding is at least better than the pinkie pump though, less stressful for the snake. Have you offered frogs?

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

frog availability here is nothing short of severely unreliable.

Wouldn't be hard to keep a few leos for scenting though.

8. toddnbecka

Pac man or African clawed frogs that have worn out their welcomes...
    Frogs is frogs.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Stenophis do not get that big, lol. An anole, or a small chameleon are large meals for them.

I'm not sure they would do any good hunting aquatics, either. If their habitat is any guess, I'd be thinking of small tree frogs.

When it comes to amphibians as feeders though, I have to wonder about skin toxins (which nearly all amphibs produce) and which the snake might or might not be able to handle.

10. toddnbecka

I meant for scenting, not feeding, a large pac man frog would eat a small mouse or even a small snake. Not sure what the large African clawed frogs would do with either one, but I have heard of folks feeding small ones to picky hognose snakes. (Also rubbing a pinkie mouse on the frogs for scent.)

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

my track record with amphibians is deplorable anyways.

Going to try scenting with a few different things, and see if I can get him to take.

Right now, though, I need to get some weight on him (her? hasn't been sexed yet). After that, I can allow a few hunger strikes while I try to figure out what it would prefer to eat.

I can order feeder house geckos for the same price as feeder anoles. If i can convince him to try those, I'm not opposed to feeding them F/T.