This Disappears When Logged In

More Dumerill Pics

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Jobiensis, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Jobiensis

Jobiensis Elite Member

Thanks guys, will keep the pics coming as they grow. Fingers crossed for a female or 2 (ideally 2:2)

13Jan2012005.jpg

Jay :D

Attached Files:

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I love them!!! They're so gorgeous! How do they do living together? What will you do when they're adults?

3. Jobiensis

Jobiensis Elite Member

Hi Aja, all 4 get on fine. No aggression over food, very chilled out really. As they grow I have various custom built vivs I can enlarge as needed, so space is not a problem. Also have plans for Rep Shed no 2 but thats another story...... lol.
    Jay :)

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That is sooo cool! One day I will be posting about my monitor-filled reptile shed. I only have a room filled with herps at the moment :) ("only" ha ha) I really hope your breeding attempts are successful! I'm so excited for you!

5. Jobiensis

Jobiensis Elite Member

Thanks Aja, will keep updating their progress on here.
    Good luck on the rep shed. Every home should have one lol.
    P.s dont forget to insulate everything, including the floor.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You have some beautiful Rough necks, and the enclosure`s a credit to you. Like many species, they are generalists in terms of using below, on, and above ground, and in water.
    I wish you success with them, hopefully you have at least one pair!

7. Jobiensis

Jobiensis Elite Member

Thanks mate, I like to try and make my lot as comfortable as possible. You are right about them being generalists. It used to be easy to find them but now they are settled in they use every part of their viv and sometimes its a job to find some of them. Though there are always at least 2 in the water.
    Thanks for the well wishes, a pair would be great and have my fingers crossed. Even at this early age there is definately a noticable difference in head size and shape in a least one of them.
    Not counting my chickens just yet though.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Even at this young age it might be possible to see signs of gender; hold them upside down towards some shade, if there are any hemipenal bulges,they will show up better that way, rather than holding them in bright light. Alternatively, you can try the transillumination technique.

9. Jobiensis

Jobiensis Elite Member

Might give it a go later on. Will let you know how I get on.
    Cheers
    Jay

10. Jobiensis

Jobiensis Elite Member

Quick update. Still doing well and getting more out going as they grow. Becoming less arboreal and starting to burrow into the substrate more now. This means they are muddier than ever and the water needs changing even more frequently.
    Averaging about 18"-20" ish.
    I have built an extension onto the main rep shed and these guys will be getting a new enclosure 10' W 6' H and 4' Deep with 2' of topsoil/sand substrate. I will make a separate thread for that one :)

DSCF6568.jpg

SAM_6936.jpg

SAM_6942.jpg

SAM_6938.jpg

SAM_6927.jpg

SAM_6881.jpg

SAM_6874.jpg

SAM_6870.jpg

Attached Files:

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, they`re looking good, have you managed to sex any of them yet?
    Am I seeing things, or is one of them sat on you (or didn`t you notice)? ;)

12. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Great pics. Always nice to see roughnecks. I regularly see my Rudicollis in the water as well. Ideas for what you are doing for a water basin? Probably should have put this in the build thread but you mention soaking here.