This Disappears When Logged In

Monty

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Apr 26, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I went to clean my Burmese python's enclosure last night several hours after lights out at 10pm. I usually do maintenance during the day but he had pooped and I wanted to take care of it.

I thought I startled him but he was actually still asleep. He was hissing and having dream twitchies (like dogs when they growl and "run" while sleeping). Then he twitched awake and scared himself, looked at me, and lied back down. He stretched and curled back up. Poor guy lol ...it's hard to tell when he's sleeping because he doesn't have eyelids.

He was deeply asleep too. I think he actually may have been in REM.

I tried to do some research to see if reptiles enter REM and the internet says they don't as far as I can tell. I have my doubts about this.

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Awww that's cute lol. How's the big guy doing I remember you saying he got some s ale rot back when u were sick

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Interesting. I've noticed that when one of my emeralds sleeps, she half tongue flicks and wiggles her tail.

You can tell when they're awake or asleep because a sleeping snake will look as though his pupils are small slits. A snake that is awake will have more rounded pupils.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

I don't know about rem sleep in animals, but considering how vital it is for human psychological health I assume most animals experience some form or equivalent of rem sleep. Then again humans are far more sophisticated in the brain department than snakes so I don't know.

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

He's doing really well. :) He ate last week and his scales are perfect. I posted some pics in this section if you wanna check him out. :)

That's totally true of Monty's pupils last night! I just assumed he was awake because he's always awake at that time. :)

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

That's a cool story, gave me something to think about :)

7. T42D1T4L14N

T42D1T4L14N Elite Member

Thats really something to think about. I sometimes videotape my cats doing this, never thought about if my snakes did as well. Very cool story! Now im going to be checking out my sleeping snakes to see if they are dreaming. lol

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Cute story Aja! It is definitely something to think about :)

9. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm pretty sure many animals with more sophisticated brains can have dreams! I had a sugar glider once that would bark and squeak and twitch in her sleep and I would wake her up and give her a treat, then she'd go back to bed.

10. Caleb

Caleb Member

How old is he?

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

He's 15 to 20 years old and 15 feet. :)