This Disappears When Logged In

Monty Has Refused His Last Three Meals - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Dec 21, 2011.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hi All,

My burmese python has refused his last three meals.

Does anyone have any tricks?

I really don't want to throw away anymore food.

Thanks! :)

Is it possible Monty isn't eating because he senses the seasons have changed?

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Interesting. I have never really heard of burms going on feeding strikes. Just let him de-stress and relax I guess. Maybe don't handle him this week until his next meal. Make sure all the temps are right and nothing is freaking him out. If it's getting chillier he might refuse a meal, but hopefully if temps are correct he will still eat!

Maybe he just wasn't hungry! Hopefully he'll eat this time. I hate when animals don't eat!

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I don't handle him often, he is in a high traffic area, but he's eaten in this enclosure before. All of the temps are good :)
    I'm considering feeding him in a feeding box instead of in his enclosure.
    Perhaps he's been refusing meals because of the size of the feeders?

It's definitely possible he's not hungry. I've been feeding him every 10 to 20 days (with some variability) for 8 months before he stopped eating.

And I can't think of anything more annoying than an animal not eating!

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

And I can't think of anything more annoying than an animal not eating![/QUOTE]

I hear you there!!!! I don't know too much about burms but I know a few guys that do so I'll ask and get back to you. Although at their size I would not be too concern because they can go quite a while without food.

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks! He only weighs 40 pounds which is why I'm bothered by the food refusal. But I'm sure he'll be fine despite his weight.

I've asked my Burmese possessing friends and everyone has a different theory. I'm working my way through all of them :)

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I would just relax- you are way more stressed about this than he is. Are you bumping up the size of his feeders? I generally feed mine every 4-5 weeks- the large one every 5-6 weeks. I also feed in the enclosure and when I go to handle him, I just give him a pat about 1/2 way down his body with my hand so he is aware I am there. I would wait and just skip the next feeding then try again next week or two weeks after so he can build up an appetite. I really have no theories as to why this is going on...sometimes snakes just like to keep owners on their toes. Good luck and keep me posted. One quick question...are all his feeders the same fur color? Some snakes (ball pythons mostly) refuse rats that are all one color while others refuse black and white ones- I just was wondering if that could be the case? I know mine could care less what color the rabbits are as they are on the rabbit before it hits the ground anyway.

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm not worried about it :) I just don't want to throw anymore food away. He ate his last meal on October 20th. It was a guinea pig and rat. The pigs are albino so they're completely white. I did not know that color plays a part in feeding! That's really interesting. I'm going to try feeding him in a feeding box next time. He's shedding right now, and that usually takes a week or so. It'll be a little bit before I try feeding him again. I'll keep you updated. :)

8. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

It normal this time of year for burms to go off feeding, some do some don't, some do it one year and and won't the next. It could be a combination of things you said you use to feed in another tub and started feeding in his enclosure (which I recommend, especially large snakes) and he is in a high traffic area could be it was not as busy when he ate the last time. I agree with David, skip a couple feedings; he won't starve and you'll notice if he starts loosing weight rapidly, and then try again and cover the cage (not sure what your using) with a blanket and check in every half hour or so (since you are feeding F/T).

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

No I want to start feeding in another tub instead of in his enclosure. We typically put the food in and cover the glass so it's just him and the food and he's not distracted by us. Why do you recommend feeding in the enclosure? I've heard that either method is okay (feeding tub, or in the enclosure). I'll just try feeding him again in a few weeks.

10. JoeyG

Hello and merry christmas by the way! Okay so to get back to you about the feeding, everyone I know says the same thing they've told you here. It could go off feed for no reason other then sensing the season or maybe not even hungry. As long as it doesn't start losing weight badly or starts to show signs of being sick, with a burm you have time to wait it out. Good luck!

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks! And Merry Christmas to you! :)
    He hasn't lost any weight. I weigh him every week lol
    I'm still just waiting for him to shed. I'm attributing his decreased appetite to seasonal variation. He seems totally fine otherwise.

If he's sick I'm going to lose it though ha ha because I've had to deal with 5 animal issues over the last 2 weeks, with 2 resulting in vet visits.

12. JoeyG

I'm willing to bet he'll be okay. Good luck and don't stress out yet, you still have a couple of months to go :D

13. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

If you're really worried, you can try brain casing a prey item.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

ha ha no... I'll try my luck with waiting lol :) I'm not to that point yet.

My options before the brain casing include feeding him in a box that smells like rats (not in his enclosure), feeding him larger prey items, and also feeding live.

Why does brain casing work?

15. BarelyBreathing

I would agree. I tend to get sick when I do it.

I really don't know, but it's always worked on for me when I have reluctant feeders. Perhaps somebody else can aswer that question?

16. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

That's when you bash the skull, right? My guess would be the scent of fresh blood and brain matter.

17. BarelyBreathing

Kind of. When I brain case I split the skull and push the brain matter out. Then I try my hardest not to vomit.

18. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Seriously!

I have a pretty strong stomach but his feeders really gross me out. I fed him one night, he didn't eat it (big surprise), and I had to rush off to work the next morning. This was his first refused meal of three. Well Monty, being the big ol' considerate snake that he is, did me the favor of pushing this dead pig right under his radiant heat panel (thanks Monty!). :)

It was rotting when I got home and its four little legs were sticking straight out from its body it was so bloated. Like twice the size it was when I left! I thought it was going to pop! And it was in a pool of blood.

It smelled so awful when I cleaned it up that I actually did vomit.

This is the reason I was to wait to brain case. Rotting with leaky brains seems like the worst combination.

19. BarelyBreathing

I wish I had a strong stomach. If I have to vomit for one reason or another (including being sick), I will continue to vomit as long as I can smell it. Dead and dying fish make me vomit. Anything dead for that matter does it. Bare feet when they are gross make me vomit (aka, hubby's feet). Also, the smell of maple syrup. I hate maple syrup.

But yeah, don't brain case when it's rotting. It needs to be a fresh kill.

20. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

The best reason for feeding in the enclosure is-Monty is a Burmese python, he is not very big now- but given time he could be pushing 250 or 300+ pounds. Getting him used to eating in a separate enclosure could be setting you up for a hernia surgery in the future. I seriously have zero problems with Ramses, and he is fed in his enclosure all the time. I feed him and then 3 days later, he is ready to be held and carried around. Of course, he doesn't get carried around quite as much as he used to being he is so heavy. Again, feeding in the enclosure or not, totally up to you- just giving you the reasoning behind why I leave him in the enclosure. Also, like I have said before- I NEVER forget he is a 12+ foot long and 85 pound tube of pure muscle.