This Disappears When Logged In

Monthly Food Bill?

Discussion in 'General' started by jshrad, Jan 29, 2005.

?

Monthly Food Bill

1. $1-$10

18 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. $11-$20

22 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. $21-$50

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. $51-$100

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. $101+

19 vote(s)
    19.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hey I found this topic in the http://constrictors.com forums and I though it was a great idea.

What are your monthly food bills for your herps and what are you feeding?

My bill is currently around $15 a month because I breed my own mice and rats.

2. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Gotta love 99 cent per pound greens and 50 cent per pound squash. Oh yeah, not having to feed rodents or bugs.

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I breed my own bugs and only need about a single jar of baby food a week. It only costs me about 5$ a week. :p
    But my other bills associated with my herps is pretty expensive.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We estimated at approx. £150 per month - for all the herps, which is around $300 almost? Wow!! That's a lot of money :D Ah, they're worth it! :p

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I raise my own rats, so all I have to do is buy food for them...not the snakes.

6. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

I also breed my own mice and rats.

WOW! That is a ton of money, have you ever thought about breeding your own rodents?

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I'm right there with Bitis, it has gotten less expensive now that all of the snakes are eating frozen.

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

It costs me about $30-40 to feed Gil (a 2.5 y/o ig) each month.... Seems kinda pricey, but I give him a huge variety of fresh veggies.

9. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

im in the 21 to 50 zone, i only need 1000 crickets about once a month if i take good care of them, greens and veggis once a week arnt expensive and rather then buy everything at once, which has lend to rotting wasted greens for me i rotate the greens and try to make it different each week. i also have pellets to mix with the beardies food and that was like 9.00 for a 5 pound bag that i've had since last christmas so they lasted a very long time
    ounce i save up a little more im going to buy a few mulberry trees and invest in a future of breeding my own silkworms instead of crickets

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It's hard to say, since I've gone from 1-3 snakes in the last four months. It looks like I'll spend an average of $50-$80 a month on food for everyone. Although it might be more in the short run as I'm planning on feeding Q weekly till he gets his weight up a bit.
    And I'm trying to convert Monty from mice to rat fuzzies... it'll cost more but it's better nutrition!
    I know it would be cheaper to breed my own food, but I can't have the smell of rats in the house and I don't want to deal with their clean up and care. I buy frozen and only have to deal with the smell at feeding time!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Frankly I have never stopped to sit down and figure it out. :confused:
    I'm afraid it would stop my heart! :eek:

12. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Haha yes indeed we have thought about it - well Joe more than I, I don't think I could do it. But unfortunately space does not allow at the moment, so for now we'll have to stick with frozen. We buy in bulk so it's cheaper, and the lizards' food is the most expensive, but I think I spoil them all a little too much. :p Nothing but the best for my babies.

Merlin, hehe I'm right with you there :D

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Not spending that much.Mostly greens for the Uros and only have one snake at the moment.I wouldn't seriously think about raising rodents.I used to have some RTB's and was raising my own food.I found I was spending more time with the food than the snakes. :D

14. bluedragon1587

bluedragon1587 Elite Member

I'm in the 11-20 dollar range...only crickets and baby food

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I think mine's somewhere between $70 and $90. About $64 a month for crix alone, plus minnows, veggies, etc. It definately gets up there if you include the food for the non-herps too, like the rats, mice, and pheasant.

16. Moldypotato

Moldypotato Elite Member

I would say it varies. Some times I buy from the internet, which is cheaper, or some times I buy from the pet store, Which is much more expensive.
    It also depends on if I buy alot of things like mice and alot of crickets to last me a long time or if I buy small quantities to last me a small period of time.

17. leeslynn

leeslynn Active Member

$ 1.- 10. a month

In October I plant a flat of collards, these will produce until May (about $1.42 per month).
    I also plant Arugula, mustards--curly and flat leafed--, turnips, and cilantro. (I buy a package of seeds for each except for the turnips, my neighbor gives me free starts...about .57 a month).
    I have a satsuma tree, and my friend supplies me with fresh peaches, I use these as treats..( $ 0.00).
    My mother gave me two Hybiscus bushes, a bougainvillea, 2 christmas cacti, swedish ivy and 4 gardenias about 8 years ago. My son plants marigolds every spring by his garden. I decorate the habitat with these during the summer..the blooms 'disappear' shortly after I introduce them into the cage. ( $ 0.00)
    My yard is full of dandelions. They grow until June. When the Dandelions and Arugula start topping off in May, I collect the seeds and start another batch in potting soil. I keep them in the house at the Iguana sunning window.(The Ig is outside all the time now) :) They are ready to use by June. My son plants peas, squash and green beans in his garden. These are seasonal additions, used sparingly and occasionally. I have to purchase Collards during the hot summer months. Collard greens will just not grow for me in the summer!!!darn it! ($6.00).
    Occasionally I will buy sweet potatoes(yams) and fruit...but that is purchased for us..Spot-o-mania just gets a taste. :D ( so iguana cost... $ 0.00)
    My total cost for a month of food...$ 7.99...would be 1.99 if only those darn collards would grow in the summer. :(

18. MalformedMessiah

MalformedMessiah Elite Member

I spend well over $100 a month because I dont have access to a credit card to purchase rodents from an online site...I cant stand the smell of live rodents and dont have the room to breed them....and the petshops around here charge INSANE amounts...boourns

19. tester

tester Richs' Lackey

test test test

20. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

I spend roughly $30.00 a week on crickets and pinkies, along with the occasional mealies or wax worms. My WD's love goldfish but I don't feed them very often. I think I may err on the side of excess when it comes to my animals, because let's face it, no one wants to be hungry...LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.