This Disappears When Logged In

Monitors and UVB

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by rugbyman2000, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

Hey guys

Here is Larry our Ornate Monitor enjoying himself out on the deck :) Ornates were formerly considered a subspecies of the nile but my understanding is that they are now their own species.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I've generally heard that monitors don't need UVB, Larry presents some interesting evidence for discussion. The reptile room is at least 70 and his basking spot is much warmer still. However, he getse anxious during the day and wants to get out in the natural sunlight. He paws at the glass door to go out. As soon as he gets on the deck he finds a sunny spots and plops down, completely content. I have let him out there a couple days in the 60s and he wanted to lay in the natural sun in the 60s rather than hang out in the reptile room in the 70s or in his basking spot which is much warmer.

So what do you think? Does Larry know something we don't about monitors needing UVB?

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Larry is massive! He looks great. I think all reptiles benefit somewhat from UVB :)

3. rugbyman2000

I can't take credit for how good he looks. I've only had him for a few months and someone else raised him for the first eleven years. The amazing part is how docile he is.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

He does look fantastic,,,and I too agree that all reptiles benefit from UVB.

5. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I was going to say..

I'm no Varanid expert but I'd suggest UVB if anyone were to ask me my advice on it. If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt.

6. JMM

JMM Elite Member

I agreed with Venus: he is massive ! And beautiful.
    How big is he ? And, when he´s out on the deck does he interact at all with your dog (french bulldog, if I´m not mistaken) ?

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

He looks great. Awesome to have a tame monitor that size. Most of the top monitor experts say that UVB isn't required for monitors because they eat whole prey. But I would agree with everyone that not only all reptiles benefit from UV but all living things. The sun is like a supersource of health, energy and promotes regeneration properties in cells. Look how good it feels to get the warm spring sun on your face, after a winter climate.

8. rugbyman2000

Larry is over five feet and pushing six feet. We are working on converting a 4x8 dog kennel into an outdoor Larry kennel once it warms up. His main housing will be primarily indoors, but then we'll be able to give him some quality time under the sun and also let him exercise a bit by digging in real dirt. I am planning to put a bottom layer of fencing about 6-12 inches underground to keep him from digging out.

I do educational shows with live reptiles and I would love to start bringing him to some of our bigger shows eventually.The only trick is I have to figure out what's the best way to show him. I hold most of my critters while I'm talking about them (.: ForgottenFriend.org - Reptile Sanctuary :.) and he is not very easy to hold and walk around with. I do have a harnass and leash for him, but he does not like to walk on the leash. Maybe I will just have to let him sit on a big table in the front of the room. Since he is so big, it is probably better for people to see him from far away anyway.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Even though he is docile around you (so far) he IS still a nile!
    All it would take is for something to set him off and injure someone and the lawsuits would be flying!
    Not to mention the bad press!

10. rugbyman2000

This is true. Although performers are told to "break a leg", it would probably be bad if Larry broke the leg of someone in the audience. I think I will have to show Larry only in the front of the room and let the audience look at him from afar.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And watch their mouths gape open! He IS an impressive animal! Both for size as well as temperment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.