This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Trust Building

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by kriminaal, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

any thing that will chase food this method can be used, just don't wave a 18" set of tongs in front of a 6 foot croc monitor!! :)

2. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I have a 6 year old Savannah Monitor. I got mine just after she hatched. Indeed, I was instructed to keep her on paper towels for the first two weeks. During the interim, I bought one of those Cricket containers that has those tubes. I tapped those tubes against the the glass and she came running for food. She associated the tapping sound with food. I wish I had a video!

3. Name Pending

Name Pending New Member

I've had my Asian water monitor for a year and a half. He is about 2 years old and a little over 4 feet long. For the entire time I've owned him. He wouldn't eat in front of me. He wouldn't accept mice from tongs.. no trust building going on. He looks forward to catching me off guard to bite me, defecate on me, tail whip me..etc.. So after scouring the internet looking for tips & tricks to get my Asian water monitor to eat from tongs.. I decided I wouldn't feed him for a week, just make sure he had clean water. So after 7 days witho food.. He ate 10 adult dead mice from tongs.. would have eaten more probably, but I stopped at 10. This happened this past Sunday. I skipped feeding him on Monday and successfully fed him 4 adult mice again from tongs. I am ecstatic! He's accepting food from tongs and guzzling them down. Now I can use the "Food as a weapon" to build trust that everyone has mentioned.

I can't say he didn't eat for 7 days because I keep my Asian water monitor in an outside custom built enclosure and use Florida soil as the substrate. I've added earth worms and loads of FL bugs..and over time it is now it's own little ecosystem. So I can assume he's probably sucked down some palmetto bugs, cockroaches, snails.. whatever is in there. But no real food from me. I think I'm going to cut it back to 2 mice and offer him food daily. Just really excited he's eating from tongs. I hope he calms down as he gets larger.. to be dog tame.. or as close as possible. He bit me over the summer.. real good. Latched into my palm for a good 10 minutes. After using my free hand to pry him off me.. I rushed into the bathroom to treat my heavily gushing bloody would. Moments later I got very very sick. Vomiting, Diarrhea, chills/shakes.. and needed to sleep. I recently read someone did an MRI of Komodo dragon's skull and they found venom sack in it's jaw and determined the saliva wasn't what kills it's prey, it was the venom. I'm positive the Asian water monitor possesses a similar venom with the way I got sick so fast. 2 hours later I woke up.. and felt fine other than the large gash on my palm.

- - - Updated - - -

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the monitor and give some details of how you keep him/her (perhaps start a new thread)?
    As far as the Komodo monitor`s concerned, it`s the slashing teeth combined with the venom that causes the problems, for more info see the following: Venomdoc Homepage

I have no doubt Varanus salvator has venom too, along with other Varanid species not yet tested.

5. Onidanny

Onidanny New Member

Awesome.

6. Onidanny

Onidanny New Member

Where in Florida do you live?

7. KevinLuvzMonitors

KevinLuvzMonitors New Member

I like this guys advice