This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Trust Building

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by kriminaal, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

2. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Excellent!

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike, I can`t link to it, but there`s another called "Small lizard trust building" (MDF) that`s also relevant to Varanids of all shapes and sizes!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

5. ashley36

ashley36 Elite Member

Love the 212 day trust building one! Will for sure start this with my baby savannah monitor.

6. CMLewis

CMLewis Well-Known Member

Seems more time consuming than other methods

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s the most likely to succeed method I`ve come across, time and patience are what these animals require and deserve!
    Can you give details of other methods you think are more suitable in whatever way?

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Other methods are filled with negatives or stressful situations.

Example forced handling- Predator(keeper) hold animal until it looses will to fight you off and basically concedes defeat
    Example 2 - Bath tub training. Put an animal not designed for the water and put them in it. Only salvation is the predators hand. Drowned or submit to being eaten.

Tong feeding is entirely positive and if timed correctly/applied correctly can be used to reinforce behaviors you like/want. Such as coming to you on it's own accord because it is interested in what you may have, rather than run, hiss, bite, tailwhip or whatever they feel the need to do to avoid being assaulted.

The tong feeding has less negative effects on the monitor as well and not nearly as likely to have the downfalls.
    Downfalls - increased stress could cause an immune deficiency, increased aggression, empty cage syndrome, going off feed.

Tong feeding can have downfalls too. You don't want to only associate your self and entering the enclosure with food. Food aggression can be a real problem with monitors and feeding time as well. They are smart and can differenciate but if they haven't been taught then every time you enter they may start lunging at everything as if it is food. Mine recognize the tongs as well as a feeding tray.

9. CMLewis

Oh it was neither of those above methods (force and bath tub). I actually plan on tong feeding. I wish I could post the link but I currently have a basic phone. It was basically I guy who let his monitor free roam in an enclosed space while he is in the proximity. Seemed to work out well in his case.

Also by me saying it was more time consuming doesnt mean I think it was bad. I actually approve of it

10. CMLewis

[video=youtube;Wb26aJjMXKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb26aJjMXKU&list=FLNc9vtc4U-fuL3Bv7M9CLxQ[/video]
    this is the video I spoke of. The animal doesnt look forced or stress. The Water Monitor also seems quite active. What are your thoughts on this?

11. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I see an animal that appears as if it wants to be somewhere else.

Why is it out of it's cage?

12. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It's completely understandable that the animal may want to be somewhere else...I believe most would, regardless of how familiar they are with their keeper(s) or captive environment. Whether or not this type of handling is causing measurable stress is difficult to say. While I'm not convinced starting out with what the individual in the video calls 'free roaming' is the best idea, nor is it always applicable, I do believe it is an option given proper preliminary acclimation techniques and conditions. For instance, placing any reptile in a cool room, on a cool surface, in an area with possible escape routes or perceived/actual predators should be avoided all together. In terms of general handling, I think the video is a good example of how to do so if a keeper wishes to do so, although I, for one, am not a big proponent of handling outside the enclosure, especially for long periods of time. But again, assuming all aforementioned parameters are met it should not be an issue.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Why do you allow yours out, Wayne?
    My concern is that if the monitor has been allowed out of the enclosure and handled before becoming acclimated to it and the keeper that there would have been much stress in the beginning. Another concern is the length of time the monitor is allowed out and temps in the room, as they lose heat very quckly at that size. Having said that, the animal doesn`t apear to be showing signs of stress, and is moving freely enough (as if heated to activity temps)?
    Some monitors DO acclimate quite quickly even when kept under "proper" conditions (not too often, but it happens).

14. Adrenaline101

Adrenaline101 Active Member

In response to the technique in the video with the water monitor.
    I have actually tried that with both of my ackies, and I can see it being a problem with any monitor of growing SVL and high energy, in that with my ackies their desire to move around and explore everything makes it next to impossible to try and keep up with your hands.
    Its slightly more reseaonable to let them run up your arm, then onto your other hand and onto your opposing arm, but even then you look rediculous doing an arm waving dance that should be reserved for only private viewing :p

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, sorry but I`m going to have to disagree with you completely on that, I believe the "arm waving dance" should be made public so we can all enjoy it.... (Hint, hint)..... ;)

16. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Someone said once about it been cruel the fact that my monitor always headed back for his cage after he'd fed etc out side his enclosure, i explained that he headed back because his correct humidity & basking spots were in his enclosure, but i & i think the monitor always enjoyed those trips out for play rewarded by various food items!! :)

17. pauljohnson

pauljohnson New Member

post deleted by author

18. pauljohnson

pauljohnson New Member

wow that's the best taming video i've seen so far on monitors. I had a bad experience once with a three foot Green Iquana years ago and failed miserably to tame him...now i know exactly why. You just mentioned all the mistakes i made, lol.

19. Milkshake

Milkshake New Member

All the tips and videos everyone has shared have been perfect for myself, the first time monitor owner. Thanks to you all, I have a 3 month old that is growing strong and stress(sign) free!

20. Medium

Medium Elite Member