This Disappears When Logged In

monitor problem

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by chadd, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chadd

chadd Member

my sav. hasnt been eating like he should can any one tell me why he might be doing this?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

WHat are your temps ? and how is the setup ?? any environmental changes ?

3. chadd

chadd Member

its about 85 to 90 ,i have him in aspen bedding and tile , have him in what the pet store said to have in it.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

HOw long has he been housed like this ?

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

from what I can see you need to increase the temps and the humidity if he is in Aspen bedding. If he is an adult he also needs a large enclosure. Here is a link to a caresheet that might help you get temps/humidity in the correct range,,,that will help his appetite a bit I would think.

Savannah Monitor Care Sheet and Information - WNYHS

6. chadd

chadd Member

i have only had him for about 3 weeks

7. chadd

chadd Member

he still only a baby

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

He might be still getting over the shock of moving into your home. You still need to up those temps and humidity levels. Might be a good idea to have your vet give a look at him. I'm not saying there is a problem,,,,i just tend to have all my newbies get a checkup to make sure. Is he quarantined still ?

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with Ken on rechecking your temps. As a general rule most pet stores don't know how to care for reptiles. There are so many different species most can't even begin to know all the specifics to their care. If you could provide some pictures of your setup it might help us determine any issues. Also what are you feeding him? Does it differ from what the pet store was feeding?

10. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

What is his setup like? size cage ect and yes what are your temps, I would put him on paper towels for now, then change him to something he can dig and burrow into when a little older, paper towels are great for new settlers and babies, you can monitor poos ect..

Give him a water dish he can submerge all his body, they love to have a lil swim, not to deep tho you dont want him to drown, I have a little coffee lid right now and he loves it, hes kinda outgrown it now tho so I need to get him something bigger that will last him a while...

Ive only had my Sav 2 and half weeks and hes settled great, eats well, hes grown so much and is going through his first shed..

I also highly recommend "Savannah Monitors" by Mark K. Bayless, its a good read and you can learn so much about your new monitor and what to expect as he grows..hope he eats for you soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.