This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Not Eating

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Zachwood, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Zachwood

Zachwood Well-Known Member

Alright need help please just recently bought a savannah monitor from lll reptile she seems to b healthy and nice little shy and scared but she is still a juvenile about 15 to 18 in head to tail my issue i am having is her eating she has only ate 3 roaches 5 superworms and some raw egg since i got her last thursday i feel like she is not eating enough please if anyone can help me i have her in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid until i finish building her enclosure with friend. Dark side with water and food is 70 to 78 degrees opposite side with basking 110 to 135

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It's not abnormal for any reptile to go off food when you first get them, it's usually expected. However if her environment isn't fully supportive NOW then you will likely have continual feeding issues. When do you expect to have the final enclosure finished?

3. Zachwood

I plan to have it done within the next week or two ill post pic of wat i am using for now when i get home

4. Zachwood

Could u gibe me a few pointe4s of wat i should have and ned in her new enclosure

5. Zachwood

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`d like to ask why you bought the monitor before knowing what they need and also having a suitable enclosure and conditions in place first? The above "enclosure" is totally unsuitable, literally THOUSANDS of these animals die each and every year because of poor husbandry...
    I showed an example of a suitable savannah monitor enclosure a couple of weeks ago in your iguana thread, here it is again, this is the minimum they require in order to thrive in captivity...
    aja[1].jpg

aja2[1].jpg

7. Zachwood

This i know u r completly right i have paid and am in the process of having a 7 by 4 by 4 enclosure built it will b done within the next week or so i will upload a pic so u can see when i get to my friends house should b in a couple hours idk wether it is a boy or girl but she i thknk is still very small like 12 inches this was jist temporary

8. Zachwood

Was just needing a few pointers i know how big know need basking spot pool for water and to soak and dirt prefferanly cause they love to dig and also a couple hides right.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Please try to use something that resembles proper spelling and grammar, which you agreed to the Site Rules when registering. Not asking for perfect but I don't even bother to read some of the stuff you posted.

10. Zachwood

My fault sorry i am using a samsung galaxy phone that is really old. Sometimes it's real hard to even post thing's i didnt think i was talking or writing in jibberish.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Without any forced handling can you get a few photos of the monitor and a decent size estimate, because if it`s much over 12inches total length it`s possible (if not likely) to be sexually mature, and if female will require suitable nesting asap which you cannot possibly provide currently.
    Please read the following, it has enough information to get the monitor off to a decent start....

Savannah Monitor | Reptile Forums - Information

12. Zachwood

Ok i will upload pics when home thank u so much.

13. Zachwood

Yeah he/she is very nice and calm doesnt try to run from u but does like to hide in her hide alot. Also trys to burrow in my arm when i hold her. I will read all of that info on savannah monitor reptile.