This Disappears When Logged In

Monitor Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Jennyfer, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Yeah I have decided to place a 2x4 on each side in the middle and hae it screwed to the top and bottom of the bottom piece.. Doesn't have to have that for top half I'm assuming as there is no outward pressure there.. Thanks for the feedback.. I would have been devastated if it would have broke... So thanks very much

2. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Correction 2 2x4s on each side

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Well, its not as simple as that. You essentially need an exo-skeleton of framing surrounding the entire enclosure that is completely interconnected--that is where it will get its strength from. Just adding a single 2x4 on a flat in the middle of each enclosure wall won't do a whole lot.

4. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Did u read my next post... We are putting 2 2x4s. To each side of the frame... They will be held on. Just like the others are. ...

5. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Ok.. Question... I am ready to fill with "substrate" I found several people getting rid of huge piles of dirt... What is the best thing to mix it with and how much of what do I need...

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yes, I did read it and I know what you mean. Unfortunately that would be a flawed way to frame such a structure. You want to aim for something similar to what Adam has done on page 2 of the thread. Placing the 2x4s on a flat compromises a lot of their strength which will likely result in bowing. That said, you are free to do what you feel will work :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

A steel T-plate or mending plate would help tie them in a little at this point.

8. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Windows/doors

Should we definitely use glass over plexiglass for the doors/windows? Next what is the best door system? Hinged doors or sliding doors? Sliding doors seem easier. If sliding doors then is there a guide rail system or does everyone build there own. Help.

9. kriminaal

If you can find a good deal on a sliding window, they are great for keeping in humidity.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Re: Windows/doors

Hi, you should definitely use 6mm (1/4inch) plate glass, and personally I prefer sliding glass to hinged doors. Yes, you can buy either plastic or alluminium tracking (try ebay for the plastic type).

11. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Found a glass store close. Make sliding windows in a frame custom. Good price.

12. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Added to the bottom

Attached Files:

13. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

What is the best type of basking light to use... I will be putting. 3 of them above the basking platform... Also any suggestions on florescent lights and "night lights"

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

A bank of three or four 50-75w outdoor halogens on a dimmer or rheostat would be ideal--you want to provide a basking area with a large enough basking spot, one that will be able to provide coverage of the entire animal. You can use individual keyless bulb holders in a row or an outdoor circular electrical box with threaded ports that you can screw adjustable security style bulb holders in to. As for ambient lighting, a couple four foot fluorescent fixtures with daylight rated t8 or t5 (HO or NO) bulbs, preferably with reflectors, would do the trick. If you find you need ambient heating at night you can install a ceramic heat emitter or two to help keep temps up.

15. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

What about UV? I am reading so much conflicting info. Most say regular halogen flood bulbs are fine..... Then on the topic of UVB, some say it is necessary, some say it is not. What is the concensus?

16. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

It is not necessary. It doesn't hurt to have it but there has never been any conclusive evidence that it helps. Most people don't use it with monitors and theirs grow up nice and healthy.

17. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Dirt.....

Attached Files:

18. kriminaal

Monitor enclosures are great exercise :)

Make sure to pack it down as tight as you can. It won't dry out as fast that way.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

And it will hold burrows better.
    It's looking good.

20. Jennyfer

Jennyfer Active Member

Yeah we had to get 2 truck fulls.. my ARM hurts so bad lol